IB ActiveX

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by rickty, Feb 8, 2002.

1. dozu888

dozu888

akhuto, post or email me your set up details and what you need to do, and let's see if I or others can help.

#31     Feb 16, 2002
  2. Had a VERY rare bsod bugcheck under W2k after running the test account and the new activex module.

Has anyone noticed system instability?

#32     Feb 16, 2002
  3. I don't believe this!

Now I have to become a computer programmer to be able to
    trade effectively with TWS? I am just getting done becoming
    a psychiatrist in order to understand the psychology of trading!

This is ridiculous! In the future, only he who has a degree in
    programming, a professorship in psychology and 300 Million
    dollars in his account will be able to trade!

:eek:

#33     Feb 17, 2002
  4. ddefina

ddefina

I was asked by IB if I'd consider using their DDE or ActiveX interface to get stops to execute the way I prefer (i.e. buy triggered by Ask). I'm not a programmer--is this worth even pursuing or would it be hundreds of hours of time for me to interface with Exel? Do you think a third party application will come out that will make this connection easier? Thanks. :)

#34     Feb 17, 2002
  5. dozu888

dozu888

version77, i assume you are just kidding...... don't be dazzled and feel left behind with this activeX stuff, it's just for geeks like me to make things a bit easier.... has nothing to do with the way you trade.

ddefina, if you just want to change the stop election criteria and fire off a market order to the TWS, i think you are look at 8-16 hours of development by a VB/C++ programmer, at $50/hour, u do the math.... it should be quite straight forward. I don't know much about DDE, but feels like the same type of development.

#35     Feb 17, 2002
  6. mskl

mskl

jwcrim,

I just got back from a holiday to notice the same thing in the online manual:

NOTE: When you connect to TWS using any of the interoperability components, you must route all U.S. stock and option orders through BEST order routing.

Is this a joke?

I just spent many hours writing a program in Excel that allows the user to direct their orders where ever they want to. This has also worked in previous versions of the DDE interface.

It is rather useless to have only allow BEST order executions.

What is next...only best orders in the TWS???

Does anyone know what is going on?

Def, anyone???

#36     Feb 17, 2002

7. Sounds like the comment above is tongue in cheek but there was another person who was interested in putting all this DDE/ActiveX stuff to use. Basically, if you are happy with the TWS the way it is then there is no need for any of these programming tools that IB has provided. There are however, many who have programming ability and/or who feel that interfacing a specialized application with the TWS would help them automate some tasks and make their trading easier.

If you have a specific application that you need you can either do it yourself or hire it done. The actual interfacing is relatively easy but then again if you are unfamiliar with programming languages it might be a bit daunting. But the whole programming thing is not critical to trading success.

#37     Feb 17, 2002
  8. I thought the algorithm IB uses was changed so that buy stops are triggered by the ask and sell stops are triggered by the bid. At least that's how I thought it was done with futures. Anyone care to confirm/deny?

#38     Feb 17, 2002
  9. Jaba122

Jaba122

I simply can't make it work. I can see the VBA code in the demo spreadsheet, but something is not right when I try to code it into my VB app. OK, I can connect fine, TWS asks me if I want to accept the connection, then I request the data (only 1 ticker for a test) reqMarketData, then ...what? How do I put that data in a label, text box, whatever? Can any kind soul post the piece of code that actually gets the data (Bid, Ask, or whatever) from the TWS, and puts it on screen? Thanx in advance.

Jaba

20 minutes later, and it's working like a charm. I simply confused Method with Event, that's all (duh!). Thank you very much

#39     Feb 17, 2002
  10. ddefina

ddefina

For stocks it hasn't changed. It's still the Bid that triggers a Buy stop. :mad:

#40     Feb 17, 2002