IB account falls below $25K

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by deadreader, Aug 13, 2003.

1. I was outraged but some of our governmental bodies are untouchable. The SEC is like that - there's little the Little Guy can do to influence the SEC.

And somebody tell me how to trade equities in another country with reasonable spreads and commissions and I'm listening...

#11     Aug 14, 2003
  2. def

def Sponsor

you should look at SSF's in the states.

weeble, forgive me if I'm wrong but are you related to QDZ and his partner in crime Mr. NoMoreOption?:D

#12     Aug 14, 2003
  3. I like the idea of the SSF's, but I've "matured" in my trading to hate low liquidity and spreads. And isn't that what SSF's are all about? If I'm wrong, lemme know - I'm all ears. Are there any SSF's with low spreads and decent liquidity? (I thought I had read differently even on et.)

#13     Aug 14, 2003
  4. Weeble

Weeble

no relation. i'm just a BIG PDT HATER.

#14     Aug 14, 2003
  5. def

def Sponsor

SSF liquidity is actually very good as you have two sided markets for decent size at any time via market makers. It's the volume that hasn't been great. Take a look at the spreads when you get the chance. they are usually wider than the underlying stocks but only by a penny or two and there is nothing stopping you from splitting the market. Sure, it's not perfect but if you want to actively trade equities with limited resources, your choices are limited.

#15     Aug 14, 2003
  6. Interesting. Another question then. I was reading through some of the SSF forum threads and one guy complained about one of the SSF's not tracking the underlying stock very well. In your opinion, is that a problem with SSF's or did he just catch a little glitch in the supply/demand?

#16     Aug 14, 2003
  7. def

def Sponsor

if it didn't track well, you'd have an arb.
    they might not have taken into the account forward value or dividend factors into the pricing

#17     Aug 14, 2003
  8. H2O

H2O

Question :

If an acct falls below $25K, is the acct blocked for 90 days or can the trader still use the acct for futures , options and SSF ?

Just want some confirmation from IB here.

Thanks

#18     Aug 14, 2003
  9. def

def Sponsor

options are part of the PDT so no. However, you can trade futures and SSF's that are in a commodity account (IB designates them that way).

#19     Aug 14, 2003
  10. H2O

H2O

Def,
    With a Universal Acct, doesn't IB always designate it in a way the trader can trade SSF and futures ?

Thanks

#20     Aug 14, 2003