IB: About market data fees for non-US stock market

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Benign, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Bob111

Bob111

i know at least 2 guys, who did not subscribe to IB data at all, cause they they having corp. accounts and will be under professional status(around $150 for nasdaq/nyse only). they never complain about pop ups..:)
    agree with Bruce-if you don't like comm, data fees or whatever on certain markets-don't trade them..

it doesn't mean that they have deliver the data to you for free either.

#11     Sep 17, 2007
  2. plodder

plodder

It is more about paying for something unneeded than affordability. Until IB can deliver a reliable and accurate feed, many will choose an alternative data vendor. Once that is obtained, IBs feed is unnecessary.

#12     Sep 17, 2007
  3. Benign

Benign

People should interpret based on the whole context, not single some texts out which will cause misunderstanding. What I tried to say is due to exchange rates, $10 USD may mean differently to different people in different countries. There is no indicator whether one can afford it or not.

You said if one can afford the cost, one should just pay for it and shouldn't use alternatives.

Following your logic, even IB charges $100 USD now for US market (no exemption), we should gladly pay it. You should be still able to afford it, shouldn't you?

Following your logic, there is no problem even if we are paying the most expensive data, the most expensive commission and so on. Forget about the price, quality, support services and so on. If you are profitable, you can afford it anyway. Go get the most expensive plan now.

It is interesting to hear some people can justify themselves by such kinds of reasons.

First, you indirectly eliminate competition via the constant popup bugging.
    Next is to charge high data fee in non-US markets.
    Now every time a customer doesn't like your datafeed and want to use alternatives, the so-called solution is to tell him to accept the fact and use mine. If they argue, accuse them cheap or liar. You have enough to afford it, why don't you pay? If you don't pay, you are a liar and blah blah blah.

Is it the way to do business?

If IB has the same mind as the one stated above, I feel completely disappointed at IB.
    Opening account at IB is a wrong choice. Not for the price itself, but the way how it does its business. Eliminating competition and forcing people to use its own datafeed is the way to protect their profits... umm... :(

#13     Sep 17, 2007
  4. I suggest that you make a request in the Features Poll on the IB website and then post on ET asking for support of your idea by voting.
    IMO you will not get much support on this forum by being so negative about IB.
    Peace.

#14     Sep 17, 2007
  5. Benign

Benign

Thanks for clarifying what I am trying to say. Why do I need to pay again if I can get better and cheaper datafeed elsewhere? This is nothing to do with affordability. They even offers sophisticated stock monitoring and scanning apps to help spotting my own trading opportunities. They are much better than IB which offer data only and more expensively.

By the way, I found something unusual. I realise IB allow us to configure what popups to show via the configurations dialog. However it specially leave out "trade without subscription warning" popup that I am talking about.

It is more fishy now. There is no technical difficulty since IB already did it for the rest of the popups. IB definitely know how to add a checkbox to prevent this popup from showing again too, but IB decided not to do.

What is their purpose?

#15     Sep 17, 2007
  6. Benign

Benign

What feature polls?

If you are talking about reducing price of the datafeed, this is not a feature at all. I don't think I am going to influence their pricing decisions. I will respect them in this aspect. I created this thread because some people asked me why I wanted to use third party datafeed in another thread.

The answer is simple - third party data vendor: cheaper, better, more reliable (I used it for many years), more extras; IB: dearer, reliability is doubtful (I don't use it long enough to justify this), data only no extras, no rebates.

If IB is ethical, they should now realise the problem and will fix it as soon as possible. In fact I reported it to IB staff long time ago. If the real intention of the persistent popup is to force people to subscribe to their own datafeed only eliminating fair competition, they will keep doing.

It is interesting to know some people accept this practice and tell us to simply give in accepting the fact that IB will not stop bugging you if you don't subscribe. Perhaps they should also agree with what Microsoft has been doing, trying to monopolise the operating system market and force people to use their products only, eliminate fair competitions etc.

#16     Sep 17, 2007
  7. Bob111

Bob111

well..then go with third party. after 3 pages i was unable to understand, what you are blabbing about? IB stated long time ago, that they are not data provider. don't like it-don't use it. it's that simple.
    show us example of cheaper, more reliable(haha) provider,who offer you all the markets IB provide,free API and then we will have at least something to discuss. you are disappointed by IB? so do i sometimes, but who give a s**t ?
    i'm making money with them. can't do same thing with other brokers or or will cost me much more... nobody is perfect, no size fits all either...

#17     Sep 17, 2007
  8. You DO NOT need to subscribe to market data to trade a contract. It may not be a great idea, but it works.

#18     Sep 17, 2007
  9. Benign

Benign

Yes but the problem is it pops up a warning every time you place or change an order, telling you to subscribe market data first before you should trade. The popup annoyance will make you impossible to trade.

This may be a bad idea for people who trade in the US market, but not in my cases.

#19     Sep 17, 2007
  10. Benign

Benign

Well, you shouldn't need to read 3 pages to find the answer. The answer is in the very first post. I stated the reason in the last paragraph, that is:

"[I want to subscribe to third party datafeed only] However the bad thing is IB forces you to subscribe expensive market data if you still want to trade on that market via IB. I say " IB forces you" because it pops up a warning every time you place or change an order, telling you to subscribe market data first before you should trade. The popup annoyance will make you impossible to trade. That's why I said "IB forces you to subscribe its expensive market data", probably to their own benefits."

As you said, IB is not a data vendor. It is a brokerage. That's why its data quality and the plan isn't good. I don't like IB datafeed but I have to use it if I still want to trade at IB.

Ask for clarification if you still have questions.

#20     Sep 17, 2007