I wrote 15 cash secured puts on GE (strike 13 feb)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jan 13, 2009.

Will I get slammed with 1500 shares come feb.

1. Yes you idiot, GE will be trading for a few dollars come FEB

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No, shortsqueeze coming you will pocket premiums and close before expry..

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. nope you're mistaken. if you sell a put and do not short the underlying, it is considered a naked position. the amount of cash you have is irrelevant.

the OP sold puts naked. they happen to be cash secured.

#21     Jan 14, 2009
  2. :) I guess you did not notice I posted that in chitchat.

Anyhow I have traded in and out of GE it is one of my favorite stocks to trade in different ways (long or short, write puts or calls etc..)

I only write cash secured put contracts and I always take into consideration the probability of assignment VS fair value of the options contract etc..

If I did get assigned I will just turn around and write calls on the equity one month forward.

shareholders need insurance, someone needs to provide insurance for the masses :)

#22     Jan 14, 2009
  3. KINGOFSHORTS, what broker are you using and what is their policy on naked puts? and does it matter to them whether it's a cash secured put or not?

#23     Jan 14, 2009
  4. You should be fine. If you get concerned, check the options portion of the agreement.

Don

#24     Jan 15, 2009

5. blackjack is 100% correct.

i'm sick of all these new terms and names they come up with for different option strategies just to make them more retail friendly. they must have saw how much commish they made from naive retail custys using covered calls and figured if they paint more pretty names and imply safety to a strategy, the more coin they can make from them.

back when i started trading options in 1984 it was just naked, doesn't matter how much cash u had in ur acct.

kinda like saying if i had 1mm cash in my acct and i sold 1 GE call. my 1mm would easily cover any adverse move in GE therefore it is cash secured. ridiculous! it is still naked.

#25     Jan 15, 2009
  6. I wrote 10 more puts at 1.39 a contract. Total contracts now 25

To me the term Cash secured put is more accurate since it is not purely naked ie: you do have the actual cash to cover the underlying if it is put to your account.

You can say a cash secured put contract is a limit order where you collect premiums selling time value VS just having a GTC order for 2500 shares.

Obviously you should only write puts if you are comfortable and can sleep at night knowing you are obligated to take assignment and do not have a problem with it.

Never take a position you do not feel comfortable with and have an idea of all the possibilities involved.

#26     Jan 15, 2009
  7. 6 cents and bounced from 13 :)

my GEW AQ calls that I wrote expired worthless to the buyer :)

#27     Jan 16, 2009