I would like to become an automated trader. How do I start?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by jinxu, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Good point. I guess it depends on perspective. I don't know how to code and I am frankly not very interested in learning. I found it easier to have someone else program the strat and then test the daylights out of it myself.

#21     Dec 3, 2017
  2. ventop

ventop

The price depends on the complexity of your strategy. If it's based on indicators it will be easier for a programmer and will take him a couple of days.

#22     Dec 3, 2017
  3. Wouldn't all strats be based on indicators? The program would need the mathmatical input from them to trigger an action. Correct?

#23     Dec 3, 2017
  4. ventop

ventop

experts based on indicators (MCAD, MA and so long) are much easier, since they are already included in trading platforms. When it comes to non-indicator trading strategy (for example price action, etc.), it will require more time for programming

#24     Dec 5, 2017
  5. mnevis

mnevis

Hi jinxu,

What I would suggest to you is to start to code some easy algos on mt4. This platform is free and the data is quite reliable depending of the broker of course. Apply those algos to see how they behave and fix all bug step by step. See if the algos are doing exactly what is intended to do. Fix step-by-step all the bugs and irregularity. You will find that this plateform is user friendly and you don't need to understand more advanced notion of programming.

I understand that algorithm are good to trade with but above the algos there is a person who is there who is watching the algos doing and is indeed affected by the emotion. I think algos is a tool not a total replacement.

I hope this will help you.

Best of luck,

Mnevis

#25     Dec 5, 2017
  6. Stdray

Stdray

If you are already familiar with python programming, then Quantopian is a good start. But if programming is not your forte, then you can try other alternatives such as CoolTrade, Investfly, NinjaTrader.

#26     Dec 27, 2017
  7. Hello,

I use NinjaTrader because it's free for now til I verify an strategy with a winning edge.

Whatever you use, make sure it's free for niw.

#27     Dec 27, 2017
  8. Handle123

Handle123

Contact local college and talk with Dean of Computer Science, he usually knows couple of best programmers and hire couple, give both different areas to code, I did that long ago for Tradestation, Ninja version 8 very cool on speed.

#28     Dec 27, 2017