I wish we had a Republican president.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Too bad someone didn't give Bush a BJ. We could have been rid of him by now.

#11     Jul 30, 2008
  2. man

man

"human beings - at times - show remarkable resistance
    against ... learning."

#12     Jul 30, 2008
  3. Really? Thomas Jefferson introduced a bill to introduce tax-supported elementary education for all.

#13     Jul 30, 2008
  4. Would be a state gov't.responsibility. I think the gentleman you responded to was referring to federal government.

#14     Jul 30, 2008
  5. That makes no difference. The founding fathers envisioned governments providing these services.

To quote Jefferson himself: ""People generally have more feeling for canals and roads than education. However, I hope we can advance them with equal pace." --Thomas Jefferson to Joel Barlow, 1807. ME 11:401"

"I have often thought that nothing would do more extensive good at small expense than the establishment of a small circulating library in every county, to consist of a few well-chosen books, to be lent to the people of the country, under such regulations as would secure their safe return in due time." --Thomas Jefferson to John Wyche, 1809. ME 12:282

Note below every citizen

"The objects of... primary education [which] determine its character and limits [are]: To give to every citizen the information he needs for the transaction of his own business; to enable him to calculate for himself, and to express and preserve his ideas, his contracts and accounts in writing; to improve, by reading, his morals and faculties; to understand his duties to his neighbors and country, and to discharge with competence the functions confided to him by either; to know his rights; to exercise with order and justice those he retains, to choose with discretion the fiduciary of those he delegates; and to notice their conduct with diligence, with candor and judgment; and in general, to observe with intelligence and faithfulness all the social relations under which he shall be placed." --Thomas Jefferson: Report for University of Virginia, 1818.

#15     Jul 30, 2008
  6. #16     Jul 30, 2008
  7. "Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1785. ME 19:18, Papers 8:682

#17     Jul 30, 2008