I wish I would have gone into the military. This is really boring.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jnbadger, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

It's 12 degrees here. It's a heat wave. Tomorrow it's 35. I'll actually get a lot done outside. It'll be good therapy.

#31     Feb 1, 2019
  2. bone

bone

There are, quite literally, at least a thousand good traders in Chicago who manage. One of the best Bund scalpers I ever met wore cargo shorts in the winter. Every day. Bought a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo and sold it back with about 600 miles on the odometer - swore it was trying to kill him.

#32     Feb 1, 2019
  3. Sig

Sig

My experience in the military, at least as a pilot, was hours and hours of boredom followed by moments of sheer terror. If you want to avoid boredom the military is probably one of the last places you should look!
    It sounds like you might be really more thinking that you want to do something more meaningful and you're conflating that with boredom? One idea, work for a non-profit work in the winter somewhere south of the equator. You won't be bored, it will be exciting/an adventure, and there are plenty of outfits who would be happy to have you for a 6 month contract then you go back to trading in the summer. Best of both worlds.

#33     Feb 1, 2019
    sle, bone, Nobert and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nobert

Nobert

Maybe it was you who spoke in chat with traders ?

#34     Feb 1, 2019
  5. Sig

Sig

Not me, don't do any chats.

#35     Feb 1, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  6. jnbadger

jnbadger

That's it exactly.

#36     Feb 1, 2019
  7. jnbadger

jnbadger

I went through that phase many years ago. Mitsubishi 3000 GT. Sold it after a spin out around a back road corner in Wisconsin doing 90. Oops.

#37     Feb 1, 2019
  8. Overnight

Overnight

Sig, all pilots face that conundrum. Both military and civilian. But so do traders and sports-car drivers!

OMG you win the worst-reverse-analogy-idea-to-help-someone-out-of-terror-ever award of the year. Roffle.

#38     Feb 1, 2019
  9. jnbadger

jnbadger

No, I know what he means. It's not entirely analogous to trading. I don't have to trade until I'm confident with my entry. When you're landing in a storm or in a dog fight, it's a tad different.

#39     Feb 1, 2019
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Well, I believe the premise of your thread was that trading is boring because you are done by 10AM and then have nothing to do with the rest of your day? Well, if you think of the alternatives, things COULD be worse.

A couple of hours a day in the house making money, warm and cozy, or being in the military to make your money (and serve the country, etc.) But the main thing was being bored?

Well, you could always forgo trading and just work in a retail store for 8-10 hours per day for 40-50 hours per week for minimum wage, and earn as much in a week as you can in trading in an hour.

You need perspective. When yer done at 10AM with yer trading, just fuck it dude and go bowling?

#40     Feb 1, 2019