I will NEVER! Use Esignal Again!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by rossmedia, May 12, 2006.

1. LOL!

#31     May 12, 2006
  2. booby... now thats what i need

#32     May 12, 2006
  3. Well Riskarb, we haven't organized the support group yet, but we've already named you President. Hail to the Chief!

#33     May 12, 2006
  4. I guess Riskarb has left the building, presidents dont stay in one place long.

#34     May 12, 2006
  5. I used signal when there was NO high speed internet! It was FM reception as I recall. Bandwidth was a real issue then! Particularly with options, only active options were quoted real-time b/a. Think about that!! :D

take a look at prophet.net. Can get real-time streaming for $30 per as back-up. Fairly reliable!

p.s. Esignal never gives a month credit :D

#35     May 12, 2006
  6. What would you have expected from your internet provider if they were the ones who went down and not esignal. Do you think they would credit you a month? Of course not. They might give you a day's credit, but would probably figure out what you pay for 3 hours and only give that back to you.

If you had a backup, then you should let it go and be happy you were smart enough to spend the money for that backup.

On the flip side, would you expect your backup provider to credit back your fees for every day that esignal was running OK? If you're not using the backup, why should you pay? Again, of course, that's not how the world works. You factor in your costs for the primary and backup vendors and make the best of the data you get each day.

Cheers,

Paul

#36     May 12, 2006
  7. Wow, logic is a rare commodity. Below are the reasons your argument is falacious.

1. Internet provider wouldn't be liable for anything because I dont pay them to solely give me market data. Esignal charges me for one thing, market data. That is as follish as you buying 4 new tires, drive off the lot and the all go flat....you wouldn't go to the car manufacturer, but you would sure as heck go back and get a refund from the tire company.

2. My backup data doesn't know they are backup, again I pay them for market data so that point is immaterial.

3. If I'm watching a movie on cable and the NBC studios in NY go out I can't ask my cable company for a refund, but if my cable goes out for 3 days I would ask them for one.

Pls make arguments that are analagous to original point. Arguments out of proportion are just annoying.

#37     May 12, 2006
  8. Nice things about forums is that we can agree or disagree. I disagree with your reply, but it's just my opinion.

Esignal makes no guarantee for the data, but agrees to provide you with a service. This is no different than an ISP which agrees to provide you access to any data you need to use via the internet. They are very much the same in that they both offer you a specific service that you require as a trader to conduct business. If either goes out, I think you're entitled for reasonable compensation for the time lost and nothing more.

My point was that I believe it's unreasonable to require a service provider to compensate you an entire month of service for missing part of a single day. Esignal is a business and forcing them to give a month of free service to their entire userbase would just mean the need for a price increase down the road to cover the loss of income for the month.

Again this is just my opinion, but it's each trader's decision on what type of service they set up. If you choose to take a provider that offers you data via an open internet connection vs. a private circuit or hard line, it's reasonable to expect a level of risk for loss of connection whether it's from the ISP or the data provider. This all factors into the costs as it would be much more expensive to have a provider that gave you data through a private connection.

My personal choice is that it's still cheaper and more reliable to have redundancy on the open internet than to put all my eggs in one basket with the more expensive alternatives. I have 2 separate ISPs, 2 different brokers, and 2 data sources which has kept me from having any problems so far.

Everyone else can make their own choices and this experience will hopefully give some people reading these threads reason to consider getting backups if they don't already have them.

None of this has meant to be a dig, but is just my opinion.

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Paul

#38     May 12, 2006
  9. Paul,

I can respect that...we have a difference of opinion but I can see that atleast you can critically approach the subject without subjecting others to insults. Your post is a breath of fresh air. Have a great wknd.

ross

#39     May 13, 2006
  10. Yeah, screw eSignal, there is better out there. Good luck with the switch, DTN is good, I like their ProphetX.

Time to show eSignal that they can't screw their customers much longer, we are getting restless :cool: .

ESIGNAL STOP SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

#40     May 13, 2006