I went long puts.

Discussion in 'Options' started by noob_trad3r, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Puts are REALLY cheap at the moment (even though skew is building)

#11     Apr 13, 2010
  2. My puts are cheaper than what I bought them :)
    The expense of it was not too bad because I made plenty from the covered calls, so it cuts my taxable a little bit if the puts end up worthless. I dont have any covered calls set up now though.

What I have been doing is compounding my call premiums and dividends back in.

I did want to lock in my returns so far.

At least I have a good floor for now. I try to be conservative in terms of risk as much as possible.

#12     Apr 15, 2010
  3. Glad I went long those puts. Clouds looming?

My puts went up, IV went up quite a bit. I do have some GS puts (MAY expiration) since I did buy GS last year. In addition to puts on my other stocks as well.

This is why I bought them because it seems a bad surprise can come at any moment.

#13     Apr 17, 2010
  4. I am contemplating selling my GS position and cashing in on the puts. I bought the GS May 170 puts and my cost basis for GS is 98.82

I will see what happens monday with GS and decide what to do.

Sell GS, hold on to the Puts and if GS goes lower sell the puts for more money or just close everything monday?

#14     Apr 17, 2010
  5. As soon as the SEC Fraud story hit the airwaves you should have Immdieately./

1. Sold your GS stock, all of it.
    2. Bought as many puts as you could.
    3. Sold them at the intraday low when the Implied was very high.
    4. Sit on the beach, you made enough money for a good year!

Depending on how the markets react you will now what to do Monday.

#15     Apr 17, 2010
  6. Glad I bought those puts, everything is going down hard today.

#16     Apr 27, 2010
  7. charts

charts

Great call ! ... :)

#17     Apr 27, 2010
  8. If the put options you purchased are OTM, you must know that you are only locking in gains below the strike.

Mark

#18     Apr 27, 2010
  9. ptrjon

ptrjon

this is a fine strategy I guess, but if you think the stocks you own are going down, the best decision is just to sell.

I've bought/sold/bought/sold/bought BRK.B, and done pretty well. Things get weird when you're in a long/short position like a protective put that goes ITM or a covered call that goes ITM.

#19     Apr 28, 2010
  10. My puts exploded in value, Looks like the bear market is back.

#20     May 6, 2010