I was with the neocons– (Then I went to the Middle East)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sameeh55, Aug 15, 2009.

1. True, but surely you would agree that an event of Holodomor proportions couldn't have been based on operational decisions? A famine that kills millions over a huge expanse of fertile land surely requires a strategic decision. In my view (and, as I understand it, most serious historians share it), Holodomor was caused by specific economic and political policies of the Soviet government. In the 1930s Comrade Stalin was the Soviet government.
    Agreed... I never said Jews were not involved in carrying out the orders from the top. I said their significance at the top of the hierarchy was growing ever smaller throughout the 30s, as Stalin kept "phasing out" the Old Guard.
    That's not correct, but it doesn't matter. Again, my point was that throughout the 30s Stalin slowly but surely got rid of the people of Jewish ethnicity in his apparatus, both the enforcement and ideology parts of it.
    Well, I don't live in the Ukraine, so I don't know enough to be an authority on the subject.

At any rate, that's not important. What's important is that in one of your earlier post you said that you don't think it's right to blame an entire ethnic group for the sins of some of its more heinous representatives. Why then do you suggest the Ukrainians need a people to blame, whether it be the Russians or the Jews or the Latvians or whatever? If you have to blame someone, blame the Soviet government and Stalin. And yes, it is propaganda by populist politicians trying to use the history of anti-Semitism in the Ukraine, as well as the current Ukrainian-Russian tensions. It's a no-brainer in this climate to point a finger at the Jews and the Russians and say "Here go the zhidy and the moskali... At it again, screwing the honest Ukrainian peasant, just like they did in the 1930s". As to your last question, I assume that was sarcasm.

BTW, I just thought I'd mention that I don't see a lot of Jews blaming all Ukrainians for what people like John Demjanjuk did at Sobibor and Majdanek. However, that's sorta tangential.

#51     Aug 19, 2009