I was charged a ridiculous overnight short fee

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by GotherL, Dec 4, 2019.

1. huh

are you guys making any sense

the borrow is an annual rate

the guy shorted $1000 worth of stock

how does this come to over 500 in fees overnight

lol

7X the locate fee ? And no disclosure of that fee ( the $$$$$$) in advance ? They should be arrested for grand larceny

IB doesnt charge ANY locate fee as far as I know for stocks shortable on the platform . Maybe a private locate gets charged. Anyone know ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    #41     Dec 4, 2019
  2. TradeZero_Mohamed

TradeZero_Mohamed Sponsor

Unfortunately, that is not possible for us to do. Our rates for locates may change throughout the day depending on demand and availability from our clearing house and vendors.
    So far as we understand, there is no market rate for locate securities. A specific locate may cost less for a firm who’s clearing house or vendors have a large supply of the requested locate symbol.

#42     Dec 4, 2019
  3. guru

guru

Generally as I understand it now, the locate fee is something that is determined during specific morning or through the day based on stock availability and provided by outside services that specialize in locating stock. Then a trader shorting the stock will see that locate fee/price and must specifically agree to it and accept it.
    Here is a screenshot from TradeZero found via Google:
    [​IMG]

And here is one from LightSpeed:
    [​IMG]

And that's when you also pay 7x the locate fee at TradeZero overnight and later 1x the locate fee, but TradeZero may sometimes lose on this if the overnight interest rate is much higher than the locate fee.

On another hand, no one needs to use the locate service and doesn't need to pay that fee, but simply place a limit sell order for shorting a stock and wait to see if the order may get filled some time throughout the day. This is what I do at IB and not pay locate fees, but then I pay the overnight short %interest if I decide to keep the stock short overnight.

In summary, these are two methods of selling stocks short and not necessarily equivalent. Either approach may have benefits for traders, or for the brokerage, while the real money makers are vendors specializing in locating short stocks. One of such vendors seems to be velocitycapitalllc.com

(please correct me if I’m wrong and anyone has additional or alternate info)

#43     Dec 4, 2019
  4. Well, the short borrow fee rate on ASLN on Interactive Brokers right now is 675%. So if we - like the original poster - took a short position of 180 shares at the price of 5.5, the cost overnight at Interactive Brokers would be 180 x 5.5 x 675%/365 = 18 bucks. The cost at Tradezero according to the original poster was USD 385. That is 21 times more.

That is an extremely bad deal.

#44     Dec 4, 2019
    freedinner, Zor_Champ and comagnum like this.
  5. If anyone has an account at Schwab, Ameritrade, Etrade, Fidelity, Lightspeed, Tradestation or any other broker, would you be so kind to quote what the current short borrow fee is on ASLN so we can compare with the current rate of 675% at Interactive Brokers?

It could be interesting to gauge whether the rates align around a common market rate or whether there is wide dispersion.

#45     Dec 4, 2019

6. Exactly, makes no sense. I see they do display the locate fee on that screen , but not the borrow rate?

#46     Dec 4, 2019
  7. zdreg

zdreg

you can be reasonably assured that this bunch has no shares available. therefore whether it is 600 or 700 or 800% annualized is irrelevant. The fact that IB has it available shows the usual professionalism of the firm compared to the rest of the industry. Get away from the idea that somebody is trying to rip you off. Because of the volatility in the stock and small float. there are very few lenders of the shares. I will bet that most retail shorts are clueless to the available float and to the market capitalization.

#47     Dec 4, 2019
  8. Thanks for the heads up. I have never had an account with any of them. However, I am surprised that Schwab would be less capable of finding stocks to borrow compared to IB given that Schwab's own pool of stock is much bigger.

(I am in no way suggesting that IB rips anybody off charging 675%. I am suggesting that paying 21 times that amount - as the OP claims was the case at Tradezero - is a very bad deal).

#48     Dec 4, 2019
  9. zdreg

zdreg

Your remark is true, however it is not particularly difficult to determine what your competitors are charging.

#49     Dec 4, 2019
  10. zdreg

zdreg

I don't see that the OP is claiming he was charged 21X. I reread his posts.

#50     Dec 4, 2019