I was a frequent poster on ET a while back, when online activity was much higher.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by TimtheEnchanter, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Now I am back.

I was not making money because my psychological makeup was so. I was diagnosed with cyclothymia, a mild form of bipolar which is not suitable to trade or play poker (which I was also doing). All in all, after finding and getting the right medication - lithium in my case I am more balanced and patient with my trading. These psychological quirks are very hard to diagnose and I suspect many others have similar situations.

Needless to say, I was devastated after my diagnosis and took me a while to accept it. After that, my life made sense to me. I was diagnosed at age 55.

S-Trader, Onra, .sigma and 12 others like this.
  2. Welcome back Homely. Bipolar can be tough. I have a close family member that is bipolar and without medication it is a bear for her to control. With medication though she is enjoying a great life.

I am curious about a diagnosis at age 55... that is older than most. Do you think there was an event that caused the late onset or do you think you just worked through the ups and downs without treatment for so many years? I ask because I have a close friend that was diagnosed only a year ago and he is in his mid 40s. Growing up with him I think maybe he suffered in silence without intervention.

I wish you the best!! I may need to buy some lithium from you to get through this coronavirus!

3. This is a mild version of bipolar, typically alternating between hypomania and very shallow lows - depressed state to notice anything in one's youth. Alcohol was my self-medication but that makes things worse.
    Thanks for your kind post.

4. Overnight

Overnight

Tough gig. A family member of mine had it bad, and Lithium was the only thing that helped. When the person stopped taking it, there was a reversion to the super-bad bi-polar state.

Moral...Never stop taking the Li salt.

Unfortunately, you're coming back to a bi-polar market that is off it's meds. You know, 2000+ point swings in the Dow and stuff. :)

VPhantom and TimtheEnchanter like this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Wow...you weren't diagnose until age 55.

Was the problem with misdiagnosis all these years or an issue that you refuse / reluctant to get professional help and that made it difficult to get diagnose ?

Also, trading causes a lot of stress for many. What does your psychiatrist say about the profession or activity that you have chosen to do ?

wrbtrader

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  6. Many bipolar sufferers live in denial, never see a psychiatric doctor, refuse to take meds. I have tried weed but it did not work. He said trading is bipolar itself and attracts people like me who like to be optimistic and take risks when hypomanic.

wrbtrader likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Yeah, I had a college roommate for a summer sublet with him and his girlfriend. He was bi-polar. I wasn't around much that summer...spent most of the time training and travelling around.

I didn't know what was going on with him but it was obvious his girlfriend was helping to conceal it. Didn't find out what was really going on until years later the military.

I'm still good friends with them today. They married, happily still married and raising a family in Wyoming.

Wish you the best.

wrbtrader

TimtheEnchanter likes this.
  8. .sigma

.sigma

Have you noticed any difference in your average P/L since you’ve been diagnosed? And compared it to prior to the diagnosis?

9. Yes, while unmedicated I was impulsive and did not follow my own rules/signals. I was gambling. Now, that is no more. I am more patient and finally profitable.

.sigma, yc47ib and S-Trader like this.