i want to travel to london.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by yutagsadd, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

Before my kids came (my oldest is 31) I traveled to England 3 different times...So some of this is may not be current. Spend 3 to 4 days in the city. See the sights...Ride the Tube. Catch a Shakespearean play (good quality). Go see the Tate...Avoid most other museums. Take the train out to the city of Richmond. Walk through the park...Get a pint of "bitter" in a pub there. Richmond is a city connected to the underground but is really out of "the city". You get a true feel of English life there.

Next I would take a train out to Oxfordshire. See Oxford University if you wish. But I would go to Blenheim Palace. Winston Churchill was born and raised there. President Trump met with the Queen there a month or so ago...Prettiest place in England (for my money). While you are there I would stay in a bed and breakfast spot in that county. I would also stay a few more nights in bed and breakfast around the country...Returning back to London. In bed and breakfast you get a real feel for the "true" country of England. London just doesn't give you that feel. It would be like going to New York City or San Francisco...Not true US. Just my thoughts...

#21     Aug 13, 2018
    tomorton likes this.
  2. elderado

elderado

#22     Aug 13, 2018
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

If you want to meet interesting people in the pubs... make sure you wear a MAGA hat.... that should do the trick.

#23     Aug 13, 2018
  4. elderado

elderado

Or a t-shirt that says "I AM GEORGE PAPADOPOLOUS"

#24     Aug 14, 2018
  5. mlawson71

mlawson71

Find out where they serve the best food. :D

#25     Aug 15, 2018
  6. bookish

bookish

The pubs in the UK serve amazing food. They really can knock your socks off.

#26     Aug 15, 2018
    mlawson71 likes this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Our relationship with the Queen is complicated and not the same as that with members of her family, with the Royal Family in general and with the whole idea of Monarchy. Expect everything to change when the Queen does the unthinkable and unmentionable - she dies. Feel free to talk with anyone British about the royalty but please please don't open the subject of the Queen dying.

#27     Aug 15, 2018
  8. bookish

bookish

Is Mountbatten still trying to pretend he is king or did he give up on that?

#28     Aug 15, 2018
  9. tomorton

tomorton

I think we can safely say he gave up that idea just after he was assassinated.

#29     Aug 15, 2018
  10. mlawson71

mlawson71

So I have heard. People say British cuisine is bland, but some of what I've seen looked quite delicious.

#30     Aug 16, 2018