I want to trade in the future...

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Goldstein, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Goldstein

Goldstein

I am 16 years old and have no means to trade now but I want to start sometime in the future. This leads to a very simple question. What majors should I take in college to prepare for a future of trading?

2. spd

spd

get a BA in Capital Raising
    with a minor in Ponzi Schemes

3. Redneck

Redneck

IMHO – No scholastic curriculum will ever prepare one to trade successfully

Instead cut you teeth on getting a degree from the school of hard knocks – best there is... But absolutely pursue your academic degree

Academics will teach you what to think – in this business it’s absolutely necessary to know how to think

I realize what I just said is confusing – it’s confusing to my 16yo as well...

Successful Journey Sir

RN

eta - In the meantime read "Trading in the Zone"

4. schizo

schizo

LOL You can then pursue your MA in Money Laundering and, finally, your Ph.D by writing a dissertation entitled "How to Screw American Taxpayer by Doing God's Work".

5. schizo

schizo

I beg to differ on two accounts. First, too much thinking is actually detrimental to trading. You need to approach the market like an automaton.

Second, while a "rational" thinking is great in concept (isn't it always), it never works in reality because Mr. Market is never rational. Seriously, those who claim that the market is always rational are real morons. Market is NEVER rational. In fact, that's what creates opportunities and makes the market. To think otherwise, you will be the first one to get crushed and the last one to laugh.

6. There are no college courses that can prepare you for trading. You will need a lot of money to start out and a way to rebuild your stake once it's lost. Even the best traders lost sizeable sums of money before getting the experience needed to profit consistently.

Trading is learned by doing it. There is relatively little written on trading worth reading, but of what little there is, you'll want to read. One that I enjoy is Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre.

7. just study what you like, take up sports and screw many chicks in college

8. Agreed. Unless you're looking to be a quant at a hedge fund, in which case you'll need alot of math (statistics) and programming courses, trading is kind of a "street" thing. You'd be better off reading up on betting techniques, getting yourself a practice account, and just start putting in some hardcore screen time. There are all kinds of free trading materials on the web, including YouTube videos, and you just need to absorb whatever you can and do simulated trading until you find what works for you.

Having said all this, the post above touched on something I feel is very important. Deciding on a career move into trading is a huge gamble requiring vast amounts of time and capital, with the outcome always uncertain. You may invest 5 years or more fulltime and tens of thousands of dollars (market "tuition") and still find you cannot make a living trading. So in my opinion, it's much better to build yourself a "real" career, gain some knowledge and skills that make you employable first, and work for awhile to save up the money to one day take a stab at trading fulltime.

9. Redneck

Redneck

Schizo,

Interesting because whether you realize it or not – I believe we are in agreement

If I pare down what you’re saying – I believe it is; How one approaches (how one thinks about) the market – is all important

Maybe our actual approach is different, maybe it’s the same – but that is really inconsequential…

How we approach it (How we think) – is all important...

RN

10. spd

spd

Probably the best practical advice thus far.

#10     Mar 27, 2010