I want to start a career as Trader. Need advice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Pietro007, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Ahsan

Ahsan

It is good to choose forex as a career. Choose the best broker by your research. Brokers have different platforms used for traders. It depends upon wht you prefer in many aspects. The best is ECN not MM who have low slippage and direct services with accurate rates. they must be Low spread with no re-quotes, helpful for new traders even their signals are accurate. Before investing lot of trading expertise required over demo which helps to get the accurate picture of the system where you invest. If you learn well from demo and from other stuff then you can earn well too.

#11     Dec 19, 2012
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Working hard for the money, I see.... :)

Seriously, you could tell them to post here (or someone else for them like you or Mav) more often, otherwise why did they pay for the sponsorship? If they let the thread go down in the queue the visibility disappears. Basic advertising 101. Just a post every other day, keeps the thread on the top...

Look at the MetaQuotes guy with the Automated Championship thread as an example. They are not even a sponsor and still manage to keep the thread (and visibility) alive... Free ads at its best!

Also, weren't others starting the combine? Maybe a special thread for them to post updates would be interesting. Just some crazy PR ideas on a rainy day...

#12     Dec 19, 2012
  3. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

it really is lulz that emg is literally the second poster in this thread; he must keep refreshing ET waiting for these posts to come down the pike.

#13     Dec 19, 2012
  4. aknaya1

aknaya1

EMG--What is your opinion of the following situation?

A person does a MBA at one of the prestigious schools mentioned (U. Chicago), but doesn't pursue trading at that time. A couple years into a corporate path, quits all that and starts trading. Has zero background in trading. Gets stuck in the low rung ---"ghetto" prop shops and blows a couple accounts. After four years of this, said person finally figures it out, and kicks the market's ass for a couple years. Can said person jump from ghetto to either institutional or the highest level prop shop tier, considering the pedigree and the current track record?

#14     Dec 20, 2012
  5. If you're talking about yourself, then now is the time you leverage your MBA contacts and career office. Booth has a terrific name in the finance industry, and you need to capitalize on that.

Did you enjoy your time there? I'll be applying in the next few years and I'm always interested in individual feedback.

#15     Dec 20, 2012
  6. aknaya1

aknaya1

Yeah I was talking about myself. Booth was great--so much fun. I still miss it.
    It's like a 2 year party. Career-wise there is so much opportunity. My only cluster fu#$# was that I was unsure of which career to pursue when I got there, and Booth is setup such that it really helps if you know what you want to do in advance. You can pick the classes you want to take from day 1 (flexible schedule) and there are so many possibilities of things to do. If you are focused you will manage your time much better and be able to do things that will improve your resume and ability to sell yourself to whatever career/job you are pursuing (like you could participate in a consulting project with a local business, which would obviously help if you are interested in consulting). I ended up in the most logical career path given my background, but obviously it would have been much better to change careers into trading while I was at school. Oh well I went through the school of hard knox.

#16     Dec 20, 2012
  7. emg

emg

let's put it this way. if u begin your trading career (with a higher education degree) as a small trader, will be hard to get a trading job in a Legit trading firm. Legit trading firms prefer to hire fresh off graduates.

HOWEVER!!

If u are an University of Chicago alumni, u have better chance to land a trading job in a LEGIT firm vs an Ohio ST university alumni. Now, if u have an MBA from university of chicago, that will land u a sales job (broker). IT would be wise to begin your trading job in a LEGIT brokerage (broker). This will help set u in the front door to many opportunities. There are many brokers became traders afterward and many traders (big traders) became brokers afterward. Brokers and traders (big traders) or traders (big traders) and brokers do plenty of businesses together. They need each other. How they did it? Networking within the financial institutional.

To small traders, u have no hope. just keep reloading your accounts.!

RELOAD!

#17     Dec 26, 2012
  8. danielc1

danielc1

This is a very nice visualization of having no clue how traders become traders in the real world... Give me a person that ask how, and I will show you failure after failure... give me a person that ask why, and I will show you a succes in life. That is the only difference OP must understand to start his/her career in trading.

#18     Dec 26, 2012
  9. yiehom

yiehom

Please remind me, which university was this guy from, uhm... Jesse Livermore ? Was it Chicago, Ucla or Mit? Can't remember.
    Thanks

#19     Dec 26, 2012
  10. EMG has posted 4733 times.

His fifth post is quoted below. From the syntax I would say he is from the top of the class at U of Chi.

EMG said: "I am filled at 1161.75. looking for 1pt profit target."

#20     Dec 26, 2012