I want to share a strategy, but.......

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by RCG Trader, Feb 16, 2010.

1. What makes no sense? This is exactly the type of questions that I need....

#11     Feb 17, 2010
  2. Try that again. You said

"Since my gf has completely taken over the hotties thread I have nothing else to do while I am at the office"

I said:

"Makes no sense?"

#12     Feb 18, 2010
  3. Okay, sorry about, that.....:)

#13     Feb 19, 2010
  4. Forgot about this thread. Here is the trade so far.

• goog.gif
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
    #14     Mar 17, 2010
  5. Hello RCG Trader,

Interesting indicators you have built. But, I think you are going to find out ET is a very tough insensitive crowd when it comes to trading directly with indicators. This is because most of the day traders do not rely on indicators as part of their set ups. Some of usual comments I have seen over the last 5 years are (these are not my opinion):
    - Real traders would never use indictors to trade with, price is all you need.
    - Put your indictors in a strategy that can be optimized so we can see how they perform over a 5 year period. Then use walk forward testing to show us how your indicators actually work when they are not optimized.
    - Indicators are past history. They tell you nothing about when to actually trade.

So now you have some for warning of what kind of posts you may get on your thread.

I in the other hand am retired IT professional (wrote first program in 1971 in FORTRAN) who has programmed 60 to 100 indicators in the last 20 years and now trades full time. So I understand what you are attempting to do. Part of what I do is discretionary swing trades using my indicators and set ups. But in this combination indicators are the signal that a trade may take place and set ups tell me how it will happen.

A question I have for you is “Do your indicators define a probable trend direction?”

#15     Mar 17, 2010
  6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i am a true critic of trading system, you have nothing really. when i get some time tomm see how late it is - i will post you some real shit.

#16     Mar 18, 2010
  7. DanMitroi

DanMitroi

I'll be honest with you: I think you're wasting your time.

The reason is that approaches such as yours are often subjective and difficult to understand by others, due to personal biases. Even if your approach has merit, most people will not like certain aspects and will want to change them, only due to personal preferences.

Moreover, you might have very good results, but a lot of people will tell you that your approach is wrong simply because it 'seems' so.

What I can tell you is that there is a single certain way of making money in the market: do more of what works and less of what doesn't. And from my experience, I can tell you that most of the time you need to figure out by yourself which is which.

#17     Mar 18, 2010
  8. I disagree with your objections to his method. My experience says that any method that can can be easily tested will not provide any edge because it has been used already over and over again and faded by the market. The key to profitable trading is the esoteric use of known techniques, whether that is indicators or price action or whatever, in ways that they cannot be figured out by anyone else and at the same time they provide that needed edge. The ultimate trading method cannot be separated from the instincts of its developer as to when to apply it or not. Every successful trader knows that and I am glad a older trader conveyed this to me years ago. This is not to say that tools are useless but tools alone, especially when they are at the disposal of everyone, cannot provide any edge. Only newbie think they will get something useful by back and forward testing only. This is an important step but to make money it takes more than that.

#18     Mar 18, 2010
  9. bmchunu

bmchunu

I am a newbie and doing exactly what you state above Bill.

So what exactly does it take??

#19     Mar 25, 2010
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

here is what it takes - disclose everything you have and beg for help, hold back nothing give your best to anyone freely. what you will learn is that you didn't know crap in the first place and everything you though was a big secret is old has been crap to others.

this is the only way you can learn is by total disclosure, if you play the greed game like the op your gonna be lost just like he is. anyone who thinks renko or 3 line break charts, macd and moving averages is top secret code and can not be shared is digging their grave.

so lay out what you have an where your at then you will get the help you need. bare your soul it's confession time...

#20     Mar 25, 2010