I want to add 2 monitors..............

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kraft84, Oct 21, 2006.

1. gimp570

gimp570

So all I have to do is buy new video cards?? Is that right? Any idea what it will cost me to add two 22 inch monitors..I know the monitors are around 300 bucks a piece

#21     Feb 20, 2007
  2. tnc$ddc

tnc$ddc

Not knowing what brand or how many graphics cards you have, it looks to me like you may need at least one more dual graphics card to add 2 more monitors.

You need to make sure the card(s) match the type of slot(s) you plan to use them in (AGP, PCI, PCIE, etc.).

When first setting up my trading computer, I attempted to mix different manufacturers graphic cards, and had serious problems. I know others have done it with great success.

I eventually replaced all of my cards with Matrox cards. I presently have one AGP (P650-dual) and two PCI (G450MMS-Quad) cards. I've been using this setup, with 8 monitors, for over 3 years, with absolutely no problems.

When I bought my cards from Matrox, if I remember correctly, the P650 was $169.00 and G450MMS cards were around $700.00 each.

You may be able to find cheaper cards elsewhere.

Don't forget to add the price of a monitor stand, if you need one.

Hope this helps.

TC

#22     Feb 20, 2007
  3. gimp570

gimp570

Thank you it does help...i am thinking about just replacing my whole computer since it is over 5 years old....and has been acting a little goofy lately....I know prices have come down big time lately...how much do you think it would cost to buy a really good New computer....a ball park figure....just the tower...not the monitors

Thanks

#23     Feb 20, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

Buy a Dell 9200 when they're offering a good deal. That will be plenty of computer for trading.... $700-ish, including one usable monitor.

#24     Feb 20, 2007
  5. tnc$ddc

tnc$ddc

I honestly don't know. I have a Dell XPS, but I haven't priced them in a while.

TC

#25     Feb 20, 2007
  6. Buy a Dell 8250 :)

#26     Feb 20, 2007
  7. gnome

gnome

RDRAM ROCKS, Baby!!!

#27     Feb 20, 2007
  8. gimp570

gimp570

thats what i have now..Dell Dimension 8250...I bought it about 5 years ago...And have been very happy with it....The only problems I have been having is when i try to shut it off it goes to Windows is saving your settings and just freezes there...i have to push the button to shut it off....And when i turn it back on it makes a few strange noises for the first couple of minutes...Maybe i should just have someone look at it...what do you guys think?? Should i just add whatever video cards i need in order to add 2 more monitors to my existing computer or should i just buy a new computer....and get everything set up for 6 monitors

#28     Feb 20, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

Your 8250 is PLENTY of computer for most trading (presuming adequate RAM)... sounds like you might need a fresh OS install, though.

#29     Feb 20, 2007
  10. pop in a new hard disc...and your good to go...BUT UNPLUG THE COMPUTER

when i turn it back on it makes a few strange noises for the first couple of minutes

#30     Feb 20, 2007