I want to add 2 monitors..............

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kraft84, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Dont pay Comp USA, you learn nothing and take a chance of them doing it wrong.

How do you currently have it set up? Do you have a dual port of the graphics card or did you have Dell throw in some cheap card into one of the PCIs.

Check if you have 1 PCI-E (Express) or all standard PCIs. Do you have an AGP? PCI-E and AGP override the intergrated card. Regular PCIs do not.

Best bet, to be safe, buy a dual head PCI card in order to avoid reconfiguring the whole set up. Turn off PC, plug it in, turn on PC, install driver and then configure the screens. Win XP will do its own install but it's always wise to install the driver provided with the card.

#11     Oct 23, 2006
  2. tnc$ddc

tnc$ddc

I would suggest that you download the most current drivers from the manufacturers web site. Sometimes the drivers that are sent with your new graphics card are not the most current.

#12     Oct 23, 2006
  3. TGM

TGM

Can anyone recommend an all around good dual head Nvidia pci card for me. I am only going to be running 19 inch dell monitors (LCD's).

I am not up to date on video cards and I do not want or need any high end Nivdia cards on my backup system. Just a basic cards.

thanks

#13     Oct 23, 2006
  4. ozzy

ozzy

Dude -- Just get some basic shit. It'll drive your 19'' monitors without a problem. As long as its dual head you will be good to go.

#14     Oct 23, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

GeForce FX5200
    Quadro NVS 280 (or 200)

#15     Oct 23, 2006
  6. a good idea to avoid conflict.

#16     Oct 23, 2006
  7. gimp570

gimp570

I currently have 4 dell 17" monitors but need more room...i was thinking about adding 2 22inch monitors....My question is is it OK to add monitors of different sizes or do i have to stick with 17 inch monitors...How hard would it be to add 2 22inch monitors to my set up? I would be running 4 17" monitors and then try to add 2 22inch ....got any advise for me?

Thanks for any help....

#17     Feb 19, 2007
  8. I just tried this and it didn't work well. I have 3 19"s and added a 20" wide screen. The wide screen fonts were tiny compared to the 19"s. I don't believe you can just mix and match well at all. If someone can tell me otherwise I would like to know. :confused:

#18     Feb 19, 2007
  9. gimp570

gimp570

cant you just make the wide screen fonts bigger?? Or is there something else that makes adding bigger monitors to a set up that just does not make sense

#19     Feb 19, 2007
  10. tnc$ddc

tnc$ddc

"cant you just make the wide screen fonts bigger?? Or is there something else that makes adding bigger monitors to a set up that just does not make sense"

Try right clicking on a vacant spot on your desktop. Select properties. Select settings. In the graphic at the top, each of your monitors should be labeled with a number. Highlight the monitor you need to correct and adjust the "screen resolution" to the size you prefer. This should work.
    I have 8 monitors (a combination of !8" and 19"). All are set to a resolution of 1152 by 864 pixels.

TC

#20     Feb 19, 2007