I Want the Master Plan!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Trend Following, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Really? I thought it was about applying a bit of life support where needed. I don't pretend to know what the right balance is, but then, I'm not quite as omniscient as some people here may be, who take a couple of points and straightline extrapolate into the stratosphere.

#11     Feb 4, 2009
  2. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Life support? Defined by who and for who? Give me a break. Non-specific happy talk.

#12     Feb 4, 2009
  3. And in this dichotomous universe of yours, there is either unrestricted, unregulated capitalism or outright repressive communism. In your 2-dimensional model, there cannot be a middle ground, transitory or otherwise.

#13     Feb 4, 2009

4. Have you forgotten the Carter years....the country was a complete disaster under that guy.

#14     Feb 4, 2009
  5. As compared to your all-or-nothing certitude? How simple life must be for you...

#15     Feb 4, 2009
  6. What possible bearing does your post have on this thread?

#16     Feb 4, 2009
  7. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

Ellsworth Toohey alive and in charge. Puke.

#17     Feb 4, 2009
  8. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

There you go T-Dog appeal to the 'emotion' and you always win an argument. At least I know early on in this debate what you are.

#18     Feb 4, 2009
  9. I will leave it to a pseudo intellectual to refer to Rand, another pseudo intellectual. However, in this case, two negatives don't make a positive.

I hope you're wearing your bib.

#19     Feb 4, 2009
  10. Mvic

Mvic

No question Bush did an awful job but lets not forget that he had the dot com bust to contend with, then 9/11, and even Katrina. The way he chose to respond to these events left a lot to be desired, but I think to just say that it was all his fault is not being fair to the man who in all likleyhood was doing what he felt was best for the country, as misguided as he was (by the likes of Cheney et al).

I'm not advocating more of the same by any means, I just find it remarkable that today I can envisage a situation in the foreseeable future (not the past election of Obama) where people in the US would have a choice between a candidate that was pushing something akin to a chinese style 5 year plan and a more traditional free market laissez faire candidate.

Having said that, I do feel that tax cuts are part of the solution. Specifically the temporary elimination of the payroll tax for both employees and employers. Major tort reform too would be a cheap and highly stimulatory measure, as would single payer universal health care.

#20     Feb 4, 2009