I want my HDTV

Discussion in 'Journals' started by ctrader, Apr 15, 2003.

1. hardrock, i hear what you're saying. i have spoken to baron about this and are in process to get something done with it (advertising by sponsoring a forum).

so what broker will let you sell spreads for $2k?

Pete

#21     Apr 16, 2003
  2. Offhand...

Ameritrade
    E-Trade
    Mr. Stock
    Thinkorswim

This should not be construed as advertising or as an endorsement to sell Credit Spreads w/ only a $2K balance.

#22     Apr 16, 2003
  3. While I agree with that statement, we are assuming he can actually make enough money to pay off the TV. If he can't, and heaven forbid he crash and burns, he is looking at not only a margin call from his broker, but one from Circuit City as well. Sounds like a way around the SEC margin rules. :)

I would think it would be safer to make the money, then buy the TV.

#23     Apr 16, 2003
  4. nice disclaimer hardrock.....!

Pete

#24     Apr 16, 2003
  5. true

best,
    surf:)

#25     Apr 16, 2003
  6. u wont get it and you'll prolly lose the money too. im not saying this cause im an asshole. it's just the way market will take advantage of you psychologically. you have a false goal.

#26     Apr 16, 2003
  7. Pabst

Pabst

That's the irony. You start out one or the other and it ends up nothing at all.:(

#27     Apr 16, 2003
  8. ctrader

ctrader

Interesting. What would you consider a True goal?

#28     Apr 16, 2003

9. It is a true goal.

It's a modest goal, yes, but we all have to start somewhere.

Others have mentioned it, and I think it warrants repeating, that beginning trading because you want that sexy HDTV is very close to saying you're going to make the market pay for it.

I think what you actually have are, or should be, two separate goals: get HDTV and get good at trading.

I really think that's a better way of seeing it than something like "I'm gonna trade because I want a new TV". I know that's the way we usually go about other things in life, like "I wanna nice holiday this year, so I'm gonna put in some more hours at the office", but I think it can be pretty dangerous when applied to trading.

I think it's safe to say that most people start trading because of the "dream life" (cars, trips, houses, [insert fantasy] etc) they think trading will bring, but somewhere along the road from there to successful trading something changes, and the goal becomes simply "to trade better", ie just trading for trading's sake.

In any case, I wish you all the best with your endeavor; it'll be an interesting experience, I'm sure.

#29     Apr 17, 2003
  10. ctrader

ctrader

Basically thats it. I want to trade just for trading's sake and be a success at it. The HDTV is just how I define success.

#30     Apr 17, 2003