I Used to Worry About Money. Then I Inherited...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Apr 1, 2017.

1. $50 million. "Now, i worry about my health and everything else-- I prefer the money worry"

3 years ago, I overheard this conversation in the local starbucks. Talk about a perception changer---the money concern /drive-drowned out all the other worries and once satisfied- the deeper more troubling worries came to the surface.

There are multiple stories of people cashing out for large sums, retiring and dying soon after. One guy retired to aspen and dropped dead 5 weeks later skiing.

Just a thought.

surf

2. sle

sle

Great way to go!

dealmaker likes this.
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It makes sense if you think about. Many famous people have been interviewed over the years and asked what are their top rules for success in life, and more often than not, one of those rules is to "Find your purpose."

When an entrepreneur cashes out of a business for a big sum, he may have gained money but he also lost the one thing he really needed in order to have meaning in life, which was his purpose. And when someone loses their sense of purpose, all sorts of negative emotions like fear and anxiety start filling in the mental space that purpose once occupied. And once the mind starts going negative like that, the body usually follows.

Oprah Winfrey said, "Your immediate goal is to find out what your purpose is, and the sooner you do that, the sooner you can get on with the business of fulfilling that."

Having a purpose in life is where satisfaction lies, but it's not one of those things that just falls into your lap. It's like best selling author Michael Pollan said, "We aren't just given a purpose or meaning in life. We must derive it from experiencing life on our own."

I can honestly say that I get great satisfaction and a sense of purpose from running Elite Trader. It may not be the grandest purpose anyone has ever had in this world, but it's mine, and it brings me a lot of joy just knowing that what I'm doing brings people together in a unique way.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

4. Well said and 100% accurate/- but I need to correct u-- the purpose is way bigger than you can ever imagine.

there's a little girl and a baby boy to prove the success in what u do ---pict sent in email, staying alert for baby shortly.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    smallStops likes this.
  5. wave

wave

Learn to put things in perspective.
    As you get older, you start to realize it's all small stuff.
    Live as if you were going to die tomorrow, and plan as if you were going to live forever.
    Time waits for nobody.
    What good is the Ferrari, if you can't even drive it.
    Moral of all this? There are no absolutes. Not in life, relationships, or markets...

6. I don't think it's the money, it's the loss of a compass, the sense of purpose.

My father lived for his work, he was honoured for it. Upon retirement age, he was appointed to a Government Commission few ever reach, it was the apex of his career. A year or so later, he suffered a stroke and had to resign his commission.

I was in high school, I cared for him after school, relieving the maid, my mother was out at work. I watched him slowly wither and die as he lost all sense of purpose.

I haven't come to terms with retirement, it's the loss of the adrenaline rush, when you have nothing to do that really matters. Yes, the plants blooming provide joy, but not excitement. A great trade is a joy, it isn't an achievement.

Winning the lottery and having nothing to do thereafter would be pretty stressful if the only life you know is doing stuff.

In high school I had a friend from a mining family. Never had to lift a finger. Couldn't find his shoes in the mansion when he wanted to play badminton he'd call the driver and go to buy a new pair. For him, having to achieve stuff would be stressful.

We all have our lives, there is no one size fits all.

7. wave

wave

Congrats on the new child.

Occam and marketsurfer like this.
  8. Thank you-- Not bad for an old guy! In case anyone needs clarity on my comment- i met my bride on this site-- hence my reply to Baron.

surf

PS- and no, I did not marry a "surf groupie". Lol!

traderob, JackRab, Occam and 2 others like this.
  9. wave

wave

That's totally awesome!

marketsurfer likes this.
  10. wave

wave

Who Wins in Life? Who Loses in Life? Why? Doesn't matter. Perhaps life is just a Gaussian Distribution.

#10     Apr 1, 2017