I use this screen for trading the emini Nasdaq Future

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Jeanmichel, Mar 24, 2002.

1. I will give you a direction to look; multiple markets with same basic signal, trade the confirming market for a scalp.

#91     Mar 30, 2002
  2. Now since you communicated with him, did you figure out his chart on stops or what he is using the Parabolic for?

#92     Mar 30, 2002
  3. sasha1

sasha1

He never mentioned what he was using Parabolic for.

With the stop losses - it was kind of a trailing stop loss system (proprietary to Metastock Pro), but he never explained how it worked. Also, the way I understood him, he did not always rely on his trailling stops to be taken out at a profit, instead he tried to pick the point of maximum profit and get out at that point. Somebody mentioned MFE (Max. Favorable Excursion). I think that was the best exit point for him.

when you say 'confirming market' - do you mean 'outperforming' on relative basis out of the two or three? If so, I have been trying to do something similar. But that's a good entry not an exit strategy.

have you tried going long the 'outperforming' market and shorting the underperforming? that could be a nice hedge, if and when it worked. remember, dow is up ~ 4%, while COMPX is down ~6% and NDX is down ~9% for the quarter. of course, you can get royally screwed when NDX shoots up and Dow goes down.

#93     Mar 30, 2002
  4. You aren't Monroe Trout are you? Your post above reminded me of something he said in New Market Wizards

#94     Mar 30, 2002
  5. You wouldn't know where the MFE is until too late, hard right edge.

Yes, that is the entry, contrary to the random entry theory, we care more about strong entries, less risk, if your wrong, scratch. We scratch about 55% of all trades.

We have spread like your describing, works most of the time, but when you are wrong, you are really wrong.

#95     Mar 30, 2002
  6. No, what did he say?

#96     Mar 30, 2002
  7. sasha1

sasha1

metooxx, got another question for you: do you guys take overnight positions (whether hedged or unhedged)?

#97     Mar 30, 2002
  8. Rarely, except for some option strategies.

#98     Mar 30, 2002
  9. I'm going to summarize because there is too much to quote verbatim. But the info I am looking at is on p 160-161 of the paperback.

He talks about using dozens of systems, diversifying by using multiple strategies and by trading those strategies in multiple timeframes. He uses automated systems for about 50% of his trading but uses his discretion to time the entry/exit.

When asked how he would fare if he mechanically traded his signals he answered:
    On page 158-159 he says he saves 6%/yr in reduced slippage and 6%/yr by paying lower commissions than everyone else. When taliking about how he explains his success as a trader he says:

#99     Mar 30, 2002
  10. sasha1

sasha1

Do you guys trade the dow contract? If so, how do you find it cf. e-minis? I thought of trading it, but it 'looks' not too liquid, so execution and size could be a problem.

#100     Mar 30, 2002