I thought this was ilegal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Messi007, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

9/11 was more concrete than symbolic, a lot of lives and property were destroyed. Burning the flag is more symbolic than concrete; physically, only some cloth is lost.

If I have a flag made with 51 stars cleverly arranged such that it appears to be a real American flag to the casual observer, and I burn that, then I've probably "outraged" some of those casual observers, but I have not burned an American flag. This indicates the importance of understanding symbolism.

#11     Jan 29, 2012
  2. This idea that mob action is somehow protected free speech is getting out of hand. People seem to be losing the ability to distinguish between legitimate protest and vandalism or worse.

Personally, I don't want to live in a country where the group with the largest and most violent mob controls public policy.

#12     Jan 29, 2012
  3. Can't believe everyone is getting their panties in a wad over this.
    I can only remember a few times in my life where a flag was burnt in America and I don't recall anyone being hurt much less killed in the process. A lot of emotional anguish for an action most of us probably will never see in person. But heck let's pass a law banning this so when it happens again in five or ten years we'll be ready, gotta protect the children.

#13     Jan 29, 2012
  4. I agree. For starters it's California.

#14     Jan 29, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

From another thread and arguably out of context, but I think it still has implications here.

#15     Jan 29, 2012
  6. maybe you should just move to a country where burning their flag is illegal

#16     Jan 29, 2012
  7. No need to resort to violence when we can vote them out

#17     Jan 29, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 15.3 Trillion and counting

#18     Jan 29, 2012
  9. #19     Jan 29, 2012
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

When I have I EVER "bragged" about it?

Say that reminds me. You appear to be awfully grumpy lately.

Business in the toilet?
    Impotence?
    Bad trade?
    Incontinence?
    Catch your mail man making a special delivery to the wife?
    ???

#20     Jan 29, 2012