I think I'm gonna go to Gambler's Anonymous

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by dnaj65000, Nov 10, 2003.

1. A hand written journal is a good idea. I already have one that I write down thoughts and observations. It is helping, but as Chinook said, it is a slow process. I'm at a stage where I recognize the problem, but still do it. Perhaps with enough time, journal entries, and losing enough money will make the pain of breaking my own rules too much to bear. I can only wish that that point will hit me sooner rather than later.

DNAJ65000

#31     Nov 21, 2003
  2. Replace it with something else addicting but less harmful...

We all know its not gambling your addicted to, your an addict in general...

Replace it with a different addiction. Maybe get addicted to saving money or drinking, or sex, or traveling .. all are decent replacments.

good luck,
    :D

#32     Nov 21, 2003
  3. In all honesty maybe you are just forcing a trading style you are not really mentally equipped for..

For instant gratification try scalping..

Paients is fine for certain types of trading, but for others.. having paients means your trade is wrong and its time to bail..

Try a different type of trading.. one a little faster paced..

In AA they tell you if you turn to drinking as a way to relieve stress, one thing to do is A. attack from the front and try to drink less, or B. Attack from the back and destress so you don't need the drink.

You crave imediate gratification, I say adapt to where that attribute is rewarded not punished, and you won't have a problem.

"You don't have a problem, you only think you do"

#33     Nov 21, 2003
  4. I find my security in my system. I try not to measure my success with profit or dollars. Ironic though...its why I trade. I guess what I am trying to say is one will achieve the other with the least pain.

Michael B.

#34     Nov 21, 2003
  5. Good step but a journal is not for contemplation : it must be a work tool also. And you can work well only if you try to quantify things so a part of journal (not all) must have quantified elements (see an example here http://www.econometric-wave.com/statistics/1/home.html.html). Instead of losing money for real use a simulator and continue the journal.

#35     Nov 22, 2003