I take back my earlier post about Obama getting a clue. He is an idiot.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Sep 27, 2010.

1. achilles28

achilles28

^ Interesting.

Still, I think private education is the way to go. Let schools compete based on results and it would be a much better system. Superior educators get rewarded. Inferior educators get axed. A market-based solution returns incentives back to schools, making research and innovation into better practices a fruitful endeavor. I can't see how this is a bad thing. Relative to what we've got - sandbaggers and loafers flock to teachers college - it's lightyears ahead !

#11     Sep 29, 2010
  2. Well what happens to a market with a limited supply when a product is subsidized?

#12     Sep 29, 2010
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Price goes up. Similar to outlandish College tuition. But the post secondary market represents a ~fixed number of "established" institutions. Parents want their kids to attend recognized schools. It's hard for new colleges or universities to break into that market with a respected name.

For grade school, it's another ball game. Name recognition ~doesn't exist = no tight supply. With or without a voucher, incentives would proliferate quality supply making education a cheaper, more efficient service. Just my opinion. But why would a free market solution to education *not* work?

#13     Sep 29, 2010
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Get the federal government OUT of education: problem solved (or most of it anyway).

#14     Sep 29, 2010
  5. Well, that's one possibility. From what little I've read Cleveland tried it and so far the private schools are charging 200% - 400% premiums to voucher students.

#15     Sep 29, 2010
  6. Unfortunately, many people believe that complex, regional problems can be solved by cliche's and simplistic talking points.

#16     Sep 29, 2010
  7. I am aware of a failing HS. Majority African American. The minority students (white, asian, gays, etc) for all practical purposes do not attend day classes (bullying, etc) the HS offers night classes.

In conclusion, those who want to learn are forced to attend night school to get HS diploma.

While we mainstrean the dysfunctional kids, the one who want an education get left overs and attend "special" classes.

Wow, is that messed up. It used to be the other way around.

#17     Sep 29, 2010
  8. President Obama does care about Education. It is one of his hightest priorities. He constantly talks about parents, african american fathers to get more involved. DC school system long neglected is much better since President Obama took office. The number one problem is Teachers Union. Hopefully this new movie will bring about some positive change.

#18     Sep 29, 2010
  9. Why did he end the voucher program?

#19     Sep 29, 2010
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

It is unfortunate, and part of the problem.

#20     Sep 29, 2010