I surpassed my trading mentor, but his way is still better, How?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by confused-NOT, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Well that's good.

#21     Nov 29, 2006
  2. romik

romik

WhyOhWhy, do you remember the ending in 'Trading Places'?

#22     Nov 29, 2006
  3. I'd give more credence to somebody, with decent experiences, who trades smaller lots more frequently than somebody who makes 1 or 2 big picks.

#23     Nov 29, 2006
  4. <i>"If you are a trader with lets say 70% accuracy, increasing size won't change your strategy, only your profit for the better
    right????"</i>

I presume your current personal approach to trading enjoys a 70% accuracy rate. Do you know how it will perform in other market extremes? How have you fared during periods of high to extremely high volatility with wild price swings intraday?

Likewise, what is your real-time experience during correction periods where price action just sells off day after day with seemingly no end in sight?

Bull markets, bear markets and consolidation markets all trade distinctly different. Your resume` does not include all phases of the market. Your mentor's resume` does. Trust me on this one... there is a lot more market action you've not seen yet, let alone navigated with real money decisions.

Many traders who are currently profitable in this bull market stage of the game are secretly (or openly) praying it will never change, because they inwardly fear the unknown. But change will surely come, sooner or later. Many of those same traders who are successful now will perish then rather than adapt. I'm guessing your mentor learned to adapt over the past 15 years.

Hopefully, your current success rate will last forever. Please be prepared for some challenges to come, and keep your capital exposure limited. Sooner than later, the answers to your question(s) here will answer themselves.

Hope this helps

#24     Nov 29, 2006
  5. -I trade 2 times per week. I trade very large size.-

-I’ve been at this game for only 2-3 years.-

can you tell me what makes you only trade 2 X a week ?

do you have another job ? have you considered applying
    to a prop futures firm ?

what futures do you trade and do you ever hold a position
    overnight ?

have you ever traded more than 2 X a week esp if you had a losing trade or two that week ?

be careful ... and good luck kid

#25     Nov 29, 2006
  6. romik

romik

Thorn might be right on this one, I don't have a clue on time frame and where the actual top is. I do see a bearish divergence in MACD/RSI on an attached daily chart, DI+ is about to cross DI-, whether this will actually happen is an assumption. I will put on my bear outfit once 1360.98 is broken/closed below.

#26     Nov 29, 2006
  7. Very good post.

#27     Nov 29, 2006