I still say McCain is the best Rep candidate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader5287, Oct 22, 2007.

1. I almost agree with that. With the exception that I think a true conservative like Paul at least creates some excitment. That is why I was saying that I wouldn't mind seeing a Romney/Paul ticket. Best chance of beating Hillary? Maybe not. Best combination to get things done? Likely.

Paul just doesn't have the presence I am looking for. His issues are great, but he can't win. Romney has politician and cut throat businessman written all over him. And for that reason he is taken seriously. Some claim that his record flip-flops more than a fish out of water. Personally I think the few issues he has changed on are completely overdone. I respect someone who has the sense to change his mind when necessary, but I'm not saying Romney doesn't have alterior motives.

#21     Oct 24, 2007
  2. Ann Coulter makes a point about Romney and Fred Thompson. She basically gives Romney a pass for taking somewhat liberla positions on the ground that he was as conservative as he could get away with in liberal Mass. By contrast Thompson was not nearly as conservative as he could have been. He even voted against the Clinton impeachment, even though his constituents were heavily in favor. I'm not saying you base your vote solely on what your constituents want, but the point is that he could have voted to impeach Clinton without any political consequences. He didn't.

Romney at least has moved in the right direction. Giuliani by contrast doesn't appear to have moved at all. He is still pro abortion, gay rights and gun control.

#22     Oct 24, 2007
  3. In other words you don't want a guy who has principles and does not make decisions based on pure political expediency. Right?

#23     Oct 24, 2007
  4. I agree with your point, but I don't think that it is neccessarily safe to assume Thompson was acting on grounds of principal. I wouldn't really ever assume that any politician is acting on grounds of principal.

#24     Oct 24, 2007
  5. John McCain is far more dishonest than most people realize.
    Just listen to him speak, and notice how often he uses the 'bullshitter key word'. He calls people "my friend" almost as often as Cramer!

I wouldn't trust this scumbag with a $10 loan, let alone the country.

#25     Oct 25, 2007