I still say McCain is the best Rep candidate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader5287, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Honestly, I don't think there is opposition to Rudy over the Italian-American issue. This is really the first time I have even heard it. There is plenty of opposition to him for being wrong on almost all the major issues and having an embarrassing personal life, plus all the Kerik sewage that is sure to float up against teh Clinton opposition research machine.

Romney's Mormonism is clearly a big problem for him. If the President of Bob Jones University is ok with it, I can live with it. It's not like he is muslim or something. There may be some odd features to his religion, but I can't see it affecting his decisions as president.

I don't think a Hillary victory is anything like a lock, no matter who they nominate. She still has 50% negatives. Her fingernails on the blackboard voice will get awfully grating over the course of a long campaign. She has already had a chinese campaign finance scandal. I doubt Bill will be able to stay in the closet for the entire campaign. A lot can happen.

#11     Oct 23, 2007
  2. I agree. He is a prick, but is he worse than Hillary? Is Rudy? I hope we don't have to face that question, but I know how I come out on it.

#12     Oct 23, 2007
  3. Rudy can put those states in play, but can he win them? Doubtful IMO. Romney puts at least Mass in play. Can he carry it? Probably not, but I have to think he has a better chance to carry Mass than Rudy does NY against Hillary.

Where Rudy may be surprising is Florida. Apparently he is very strong there. I guess all the retirees from NY. Republicans cannot win without Florida and Texas. Dems cannot win without California, NY and Mass.

#13     Oct 23, 2007
  4. LT701

LT701

If they put up McCain, I vote 3rd party

I wont vote for him, I wont vote for Hillary

Bush sucks, but did I vote for Kerry? ---> NO!

My message to both parties is 'dont put up someone who SUCKS, and tell me I have to vote for them because of the other candidate - I wont'

If my vote is really that important, dont put up somone who SUCKS

McCain gave his base the finger with Amnesty, that has to be punished

#14     Oct 23, 2007
  5. I'd do the same, but I just don't see McCain ever getting the nomination. I recently heard something about McCain looking into borrowing $$ for his campaign, or something pathetic like that.

#15     Oct 23, 2007
  6. Well then I'll just pack it in again because I can't find a one of you to agree with me. Yet in person when I talk with other floundering or ex-Reps that feel like they got led down the garden path by Bush & Cheney, they all say they might very well go with McCain over Hillary. And I still say the reason for that is they recognize he's in the lineage of the able, respected and worthy Republican public men like Bush Sr, Dole, ... . I leave Reagan out.

My call is any of the other three wont even reach Dukakis level popular vote, e.g. 45% or so levels. McCain would easily. Too early to talk electoral landscape.

And AA, don't act so surprised about the Italian American angle. Also, Rudy's wife is a huge liability too, as is Thompson's.

#16     Oct 23, 2007
  7. I for one have always thought there's wisdom in McCain being the nominee. Imagine a campaign ad with McCain the POW defending the foray into Iraq. A hell of lot more credible than a bunch of candidates who never even served. As is, I can't imagine a scenario where he's a force in the primaries. He's perceived as Dole/96. It's over. Like AAA I could care less about his national demise.

The GOP has decided to back the candidate with the CV best chance. Rudy. It'll take a miracle for him to win. It comes down to the strength of the anti-Hillary vote but then again I have my doubts as to whether she'll be the eventual Dem nominee. I still see a Draft Gore out there on the horizon......

#17     Oct 23, 2007
  8. I agree that Rudy and Thompson have wife issues. With rudy it's the dreaded creepiness factor. He is creepy and you have to wonder what kind of woman would be interested in him. With Thompson it's a different form of creepiness,but American women tend to resent men who have much younger wives. Particularly if she has exhausted the north american supply of botox. Poor Fred is caught between trying to be Mr. Mom and Arnold. Hint: go with the hollywood celeb angle because it is not so disturbing as the hannity interview.

#18     Oct 23, 2007
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Paul is the best candidate in theory. Romney would be the best candidate in practice. None have a cat in hell's chance of winning the presidency.

#19     Oct 23, 2007
  10. Cutten

Cutten

A liberal Republican is the only chance of keeping the Dem's out of the White House. After Bush, there is no way that a conservative Republican is going to win.

#20     Oct 23, 2007