I should have listened, IB is indeed a joke.

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by harkm, Apr 21, 2008.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Perhaps more informative to others than to you; or perhaps not. I've used these people for years. Trust me, they're no joke. And, you're welcome.

#21     Apr 21, 2008
  2. harkm

harkm

Your right. The title was written while I was still mad from being locked out of my account. I have been happy with IB so far but I am used to customer service. I was a registered rep with Schwab back in the day and we fell all over ourselfs trying to help the customer. We were always accessible. Of course Schwab charged high commissions.

#22     Apr 21, 2008
  3. Bob111

Bob111

harkm-with all due respect, but from what i was reading here-you are joke, not IB. security thread been discussed here to death, way before IB implement those STP devices,cards, etc. if you missed(along with messages and emails from IB about all those security programs-well..that's your problem..if you don't know your account number-it's your problem again..
    i hope, you still remember your last name,user name along with security questions or maybe you still have some tax forms..with account number..as been suggested-call to HK office or Euro. people are nice over there, talk to them. you can unsubscribe from STP program later..i did provide phone number for it along with forms somewhere on ET long time ago..

#23     Apr 21, 2008
  4. harkm

harkm

How exactly am I a joke? Ok, I opened my account with IB recently. I have had my accounts with Schwab, Datek, Ameritrade, and now IB. All my previous brokers were very accessible. With Ameritrade I just call and give them my user ID. With IB you use your user ID to log on right? So why couldn't you just use your id when you call in? Like I stated already, JOKE is a very strong word and I shouldn't have used that exact word. I was just mad. I am just used to calling in after hours. But making this personal and calling me a joke is out of line.

#24     Apr 21, 2008
  5. Bob,

Since when is it your problem for not eagerly signing up for their security measures. If they are going to force this onto the users then it should be handled by IB in a way that doesn't adversely affect the customers service. This is the main point - not that he didn't eagerly sign up for the device. IB's mandatory rollout procedure is flawed and now the customer is bearing the brunt of that flaw.

With kind regards,
    MK

#25     Apr 21, 2008
  6. You know really Midknight...if your'e going to comment, at least know what you're talking about. In this case, you don't.

This security program is not mandatory. He can opt out. Evidently he didn't.

IB has a procedure for handling this when the security device is not received.

The problem this guy has is he didn't opt out, he doesn't have his account number, and he figures all this out AFTER business hours.

Instead, he wants to talk about how smoothly everything works at Ameritrade. LOL. Maybe what he needs to do is go back to Ameritrade...or perhaps you can tell him where you do your brokerage.

OldTrader

#26     Apr 21, 2008
  7. Oldtrader,

Is there any need to be so sarcastic and condescending. For an oldtrader - you are really immature. You have been on ET too long and have forgotten how to communicate politely.

My comments about mandatory where from the very first post where harkm stated:

#27     Apr 21, 2008
  8. harkm

harkm

Give me a break. The guy at IB didn't say anything about opting out. Actually, I never figured it out at all because I can't log into my account or call anybody. And stop with the account number bs. You can call in to anywhere without your account number. I should know as I was with Schwab for years. Good grief. Somebody attacked your favorite broker. Get over it. (LOL)I love how people use LOL as if they are superior in some way. LOL.

#28     Apr 21, 2008
  9. Harkm, you were warned that by a certain date without the security code, no login. This same thing happened to me but when the card had not arrived 2 days before the lockout date, I was on the phone with I.B. They were able to give me a temporary code good for a week to login. You should have been on the phone with them 2 days before telling them the card had not arrived. And yes you absoloutely can access your account over the phone with your username and some security questions.

And they offer 24 hour phone support, you can call their Australia # right now.
    +61-2-9240-5143

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=customerService&ib_entity=llc

#29     Apr 21, 2008
  10. Good post Pilotboy. That about says everything it needs to say. Good job.

OldTrader

#30     Apr 21, 2008