I see why sharpe of 3 is so desirable

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SabreMan, Jun 24, 2018.

1. OPM aside, sharpe is just a dick measuring tool for traders with small accounts. No one i know who trades for a living even tracks it.

Sharpe of 3 you say? That's barely profitable. Here is something i dug up from the archives. This is what selling vol in 2009 looked like. :D

[​IMG]

#31     Jun 26, 2018
  2. traider

traider

Also, what are the instruments in your trading universe? Do you run the same strategy across a huge diversified set of instruments? How complicated is your trading strategy?

#32     Jun 26, 2018
  3. Lee-

Lee-

I'm a bit short of $1M, but I target 20-30% margin utilization (equity options) and would do this even if I had $10M. While I generally only have about 1-3% of total account at risk with respect to each underlying, I keep positions in 10-20 underlyings open at a time. My reasoning is that if things go horribly wrong, I'll be able to ride it out, or at worst if I actually manage to hit max loss on every position, I'd still retain enough of my account to be able to rebuild. If I lost 50%+ of my account value due to an overnight gap, that would be substantially more difficult to come back from.

In some ways I may be a bit too conservative in some ways while in others a bit risky, but everyone has their own methods and reasons. Granted if I were trading stocks, I'd likely be targeting > 30% capital utilization.

#33     Jun 26, 2018
  4. Palindrome

Palindrome

Rallymode, those are incredible results. So you were selling vol on what? What was the strategy? My results are a joke compared to yours. My system is trading futures directionally.

#34     Jun 26, 2018
  5. SabreMan

SabreMan

If you had been around in 2009, you would have killed it as well.
    If you can do a Sharpe of almost 4 in 2017/2018 by directionally trading futures, your ratio would have been over 10 in 2009.

Markets were very directional in the short term in 2008 and most of 2009, so would of suited your strategy quite well i think.

Anyway i am very impressed with you guys for doing these insanely high Sharpes.

My trading is 100% automated, so i am happy to be able to hit a Sharpe of 2.0

#35     Jun 27, 2018
  6. There is no linear relationship between number of variables and sharpe but I use a couple dozen inputs to my return predictors. The stronger edges contribute much more to sharpe than weaker ones. Shelf life is really unknowable in advance. I'm still trading some of the same edges that I found 7 years ago when I started researching the market, others have come and gone in a much shorter time (maybe those ones weren't really "edges" to begin with but just some kind temporary trends, problem is you can't always tell the difference)

Instruments are all stocks traded on US exchanges (just common stocks, no ETFs, preferred or other weird stuff). Execution is super simple (daily frequency, auctions), while hedging and prediction are fairly complex. About 150k lines of code for the whole system. I'm looking to get into intraday stuff in the future in order to transcend the limitations of daily trading.. being able to use stop loss, supplying liquidity, etc.

#36     Jun 27, 2018
    winnertakesall likes this.
  7. I am into relative risk premia, vol replication type of stuff. In '09 there were a lot of plays on microstructure and straight up arbs if you can believe it. Vol futures were very inefficient, the machines had not stepped in yet. I couldn't trade direction to save my life. My hat's off to guys who can.

#37     Jun 27, 2018
  8. Palindrome

Palindrome

Cool, I see. I've played the selling premium game in a very basic form. I could never stomach the risk reward. And then when you hedge, the returns are so small. At least my amateur way of looking at option premium.

What you were doing was much more complex, above my head.

#38     Jun 27, 2018
  9. sle

sle

Well, it's a good single number to throw out - "oh, my SR is 5, I sleep well" :)

Couple multi-manager funds/props actually base their payouts on Sharpe (sometimes combined with a return on capital as a 2-d metric, which makes for some really strange strategy incentives).

Out of curiosity, are you running it as a single factor-based book or as a portfolio of independent strategies with some netting at the execution level?

#39     Jun 27, 2018
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Excellent OP sir. You gave a very good practical consideration and explanation of Sharpe and the relation to risk and return.

I do have a question for you, consider two strategies: Both have the exact same Sharpe. One has a 50% return and the other 25%. Professional investors would say they have identical "risk adjusted returns" so are the same. For me, a retail investor, the 50% return is intuitively better even though it has the same Sharpe as the 25%. Where do I go wrong if I pick the 50% strategy?

The reason I ask is: I think the Sharpe for small cap is not as good as SPY's but if you buy and hold small cap index for 30-40 yrs, the absolute return is so much better than buy and hold SPY, a puzzle I don't quite understand. o_O

Regards,

#40     Jul 4, 2018