I secretly hate rich people, but also hate poor people.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lolatency, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Everyone knows the problem with poor people.

I know some really ridiculously rich people who travel all the time. I ask myself, "What economic function or purpose does this person have that makes them so much better or wealthier than me?" And nine times out of ten, they just knew someone who let them tap into wealth. There's no function, no nothing. They never seemed to experience the slavery I experience on a day to day basis.

Then I look at myself, where I have had so many failures and I try to overcome personal setbacks, etc. It gets me kind of upset. How do I transform myself to get out of slavery and build a work ethic, schedule, and life that I -really- like? Every time I get into the groove and think things are going to work out, something derails and I fail. Either the government steps in, or a lawsuit rolls around, or I hit some kind of personal dilemma.

There's a real glass ceiling out there, and I don't think it's necessarily based on race or gender or anything. It's like the system mysteriously knows how to kick me back into mediocrity. There's no way these rich people are that much more determined than I am. They are often lazier than me. Are they more willing to ass-kiss? I don't get it.

2. First generation wealth have something the masses don't have.

VISION

The masses live in a state of perpetual surprise. They do not make incrementalized long range plans. They do not calculate risks so as to adapt in the event of an event. The do not calculate cost so they are normally underprepared.

This is what is see in my humble opinion.

3. Two thoughts.

And nine times out of ten, they just knew someone who let them tap into wealth.
    ---------------------

I agree, not necessarily their wealth but connections This is a biggie.

Secondly,

Every time I get into the groove and think things are going to work out, something derails and I fail.
    ----------------------------

It is tough to maintain and making the right choices. It is a lonely life making the decisions.

4. I love the book "Outliers". The author researched wealthy people and found that they were in the right place at the right time doing the right thing. Some had just very, very extraordinary things line up for them.

I used to have it on my prayer list to be in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing... [two decades before I read Outliers]. It's working out pretty well, prayer is the key ingredient maybe...

5. Do you think Paris Hilton has vision? The way I'd look at her is like this: Her connection to family brought her closer to someone else with wealth who decided to spin her off as a sex symbol. She makes millions.

I see women who aren't wealthy who are truly, truly beautiful. I mean, the kind of woman you just can't take your eye off of working secretary type jobs. They usually end up marrying a "rich" guy (say, $200,000+ a year), but the point here is that they don't turn their beauty into profits like Paris Hilton did. This is definitely a function of connections.

So then you might ask -- Why doesn't lolatency go out and make his connections? I suppose I could, but how do I convey to these important people that I have any value? That's what I'm struggling with. Also, I need to convince myself I have value, but I think my personal self-esteem is somewhat low at the moment because of a few failures. I also went to the Ivy League, but I find myself contemplating living in an RV to drop out of society.

I have a vision, but I feel somewhat energy deprived to make it happen. Perhaps it's just a function of my current place and time, but I do need to be better positioned. How am I going to make that happen?

I'm just terrified of having to work in a place, try real hard, and then not get rewarded for it. Particularly where I work now. I'm already feeling resentment over my shitty bonus this past quarter. My software literally has flawlessly handled over a billion dollars in transactions without a single failure [ever], and my bonus was fucking $23,000 after taxes. I took my own risk, risked my job, went against management and made something better and I just didn't get rewarded. I gave management some time, but I feel deep down inside that I want to go elsehwere and roll them at their own game. I'm really ticked about this. I could take this software and turn it into a product with venture capital, I bet. I just don't know how to pitch it and take it where it needs to be.

6. You'll never get rich working for someone else. I guess your Ivy League education didn't teach you that.

7. that was true, oh, 50 freaking years ago.

moron, all these humps working for the street and banks , they are working for someone else!!!!!!!!

they made millions , way more then they ever would have working for themselves.

but software programming, nope, thats not the ticket.

gambling someone elses billions, thats the scam

8. That word Work ...the most loaded word in the english language.

9. Gee whiz llatency, classic response of a defective attitude.

"how do I convey to these important people that I have any value?"

The "important people" may recognize your value but your personality is getting in the way of them wanting to do more for you. You portray a cross between living in an RV and drop out of society to the heights of starting your own business to show them your value. How would anyone invest in you if you haven't decided where you want to be.

10. This is painfully true. The safe road is buying the RV and dropping out, but the risky road is taking on, well, risk. I guess in my mind, I liked having the RV paid for so there's no ultimate risk -- always have roof over my head. Perhaps if I get the RV first, nullify the fear of homelessness in my head, and then take on risk, things will work out. Nothing like being afraid of not making the mortgage payment.

#10     Mar 23, 2009