I remember when people did not perpetually lease or buy cars all the time.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 16, 2008.

1. volente_00

volente_00

I partially disagree. There have been bubbles created in the past due to lack of regulation. As long as there is GREED in human nature, there will always be bubbles with or without a govt or fed. One of the contributors to the great depression was poorly regulated markets where investors and banks had to much freedom. Ever hear of bucketshops and the leverage that was given to "common investors" back then ?

The national debt rose under Hoover but actually remained steady under FDR up until we entered the war. At least he was smart enough to put the people to work updating America's infastructure instead of just letting them sit at home and be unproductive while leaching off of govt assistance.

#31     Dec 17, 2008
  2. Gnome, austin have a point. But the destruction came from the "individuals" who did not save. The negitive savings rate comes from a "choice" to try and bling. The "Middle Class" with their fancy cars and McMansions tryed to portray something, which was false.

From NYC, to Chicago, Miami, now I'm in San Antonio. 80% are making less than 40K but the locals drive all kinds of fancy cars on 7 to 10 year notes.

Austin, nice city, but also trying to bling beyond their means. Dell is shutting down 90% of their operation and heading over to "Brazil." DELL was paying higher salary than most. Austin to take a huge hit.

But the negitive savings rate comes from Individual Choice. Bush had nothing to do with it. You can stick a Hooker on the corner of my street, but that does not mean you are forcing me to become a "jon". It is by choice if I choose to take her up on business.

#32     Dec 17, 2008
  3. jprad

jprad

#33     Dec 17, 2008
  4. If she comes with enough free money, I don't care how sloppy she is, you'll take her.

#34     Dec 17, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

True, "Bush had nothing [specifically] to do with it"... but rather, the tax code discourages and punishes savings... Then, we bitch about not having any savings...

Just another mis-direct by Gummint.... LIARS AND THIEVES that they are... :mad:

#35     Dec 17, 2008
  6. Bob111

Bob111

true..that's why i prefer to buy @ dealers auction used,2-2.5 years old off lease,which most of the time still on manufacturer warranty. the biggest drop in value -in first 2 years. most of the time-split in half.
    also done 400K miles on nissan.

#36     Dec 17, 2008
  7. Mr Pain

Mr Pain

Bingo,

a 2 year old car under warranty is the way to go.

#37     Dec 17, 2008