i really hope this isn't why we sleep :-/

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Actually, normal sleep involves four distinct stages of sleep including REM. When we fall asleep we spend a majority of our time in the third level. This is the deepest level of sleep. REM sleep is considered level 4 in some textbooks but it is really a stage where we are very close to being awake. REM (Rapid Eye Movement), is also where our dreams take place.

This entire cycle gets repeated throughout the night with progressively longer periods spent in REM sleep. This is why you'll get a long of dreams the longer you sleep.

Also, if you wake up 2 hours before normal, do a crossword puzzle (or something other intellectually challenging) and then go back to sleep, you will have extremely vivid dreams and possibly OBE's.

#21     Sep 25, 2003
  2. i found this post on the internet......lost the source, but...

#22     Sep 26, 2003
  3. This is a very interesting thread for me. I have been having sleep troubles since the age of 13. It takes me about an hour and a half just to get in a relaxed enough state to just fall asleep. At the ripe age of 31 I am fed up and seriously considering going to sleep therapy. Anybody else have these problems?

#23     Sep 26, 2003
  4. stop the BS. info u give here is dangerous. Lack of sleep damages health and ultimately kills. its proven.

#24     Sep 26, 2003
  5. dude, who are you talking to?

i'm not suggesting anyone do anything. i'm just throwing out ideas. people will make their own choices. i'm not going to stop discussing this because you think it is bs.

the truth is, we do NOT totally understand sleep.

i really do believe there is something to the evolution/survival explanation. a bat sleeps over 80% of a day. there's no way it needs all that rest. a giraffe sleeps like less than 2 hours a day. why the big difference?!

if you're going to claim lack of sleep damages health and kills, come back here with links to facts/studies that show this. and not just ones that support your side.

#25     Sep 26, 2003
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes, I had insomnia.

Have you tried a "sleep sound" machine? Sharper Image has an adjustable one. Another one is earplugs to cut out all distracting noise....I like Hearos that you can get at Wallgreens and find they work as well as a sleep sound and get rid of Bob's snoring to boot.

I also tried blackout shades on all the windows which helped. Or cover them with aluminum foil.

Tylenol PM helps sometimes.

You also might just try staying awake for 2-3 days to break the cycle. That helped me. Gets me so tired I can fall asleep standing up. Not recommended on days you have to drive or go to work. :)

#26     Sep 26, 2003
  7. No kidding, huh? Those machines work? My problem is not so much insomnia....I can get to sleep eventually, just takes me forever. Sometimes I will stay awake for 20hours+ even on a weekday just to get to sleep immediately when I finally lay down.
    The PM medicines are OK. I don`t take them often but once or twice I have had insomnia and taken three of them (I am a big person) and all I did was get groggy. Maybe yoga or medidation?

#27     Sep 27, 2003
  8. Hey Gordon, Don`t let this guy get you upset. That`s what he does...comes into a thread with one line of criticism and no follow up. I posted in the "trading ego" thread telling the traders "good luck" and "I wished that I could participate" and he tells me "GO AWAY CLOWN" :confused:

#28     Sep 27, 2003
  9. your post made me laugh out loud.

it's ok, traderkay didn't get me upset. i have no problem at all with him disagreeing with me. i do think he should back up his claims with facts. and i also think there is nothing at all wrong with discussing sleep; i don't know why my posts bothered him. anyway, traderkay did me a favor a while ago that he did not have to do. he was very generous to me. i won't bash the guy.

#29     Sep 27, 2003
  10. indahook what you alleged never happened. my "go away clown" was directed at mr market in the new thread started about his "chatroom" (the thread now seems to be deleted). now go search my posts and you will see that I never told you to go away and in fact i never addressed you. my suggestion that i was directing people to is actually a positive suggestion about how to improve the trading contest that's going on now. just search my posts. i expect an apology :)

#30     Sep 27, 2003