I realized something................

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Pumpanddump, Jun 25, 2003.

1. About a year ago I realize that I want to be a trader. I interview with a prop shop not even knowing how thier business model works. They make an offer to hire me if I put up 10k. I want to give it a try but intuitively I realize that they want to turn me into a scalper and a commision generater. I turn them down. But I don't even consider going with an investment bank instead. They recruit ivy league graduates with connections right out of college - I hardly ever see an advertised position in the New York Times. Most traders seem better off on thier own unless they have the right degree or connections to get into old boys network. If I had the degree or experience I'd definately go with the bank over the prop shop.

#11     Jun 26, 2003
  2. The whole street is nothing but riff-raff. If you believe otherwise you might as well be a mushroom.

#12     Jun 26, 2003
  3. Well, let's be happy that we have the opportunity to do either one. All in all, they're both good.

The opportunity is what's it's all about.

And that's what we need, an opportunity.

#13     Jun 26, 2003
  4. sle

sle

Firstly, prop trading as an alternative to trading for a big institution is ill-defined, there are plenty of prop trading desks at big banks or large hedge funds. However, it is a totally different game. I can not imagine someone with 10K (as someone mentioned here) and a high school education, trading correlation swaps or callable range accruals, for example. Nor would one be able to do stat. arb or something complex like that. It is a totally different game - show me a non-institutional prop trader who does capital structure arbitrage.

#14     Jun 26, 2003
  5. There are several traders on this very board who do just that.

#15     Jun 26, 2003
  6. arb is not complicating...

It's just a bunch of losers who can't trade up right...

j/k but that's what some of the traders I know (who is really good) told me...

#16     Jun 26, 2003
  7. show me a non inst. individual who has to answer to some miserable nimwad from india/pakistan/syria/china/ivy league school every day

or an inst. trader who dosent????

#17     Jun 26, 2003
  8. :eek:
    Here we go, bitter institutional traders vs. bitter non-institutional traders.
    :p

#18     Jun 26, 2003
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

any individual working at a prop firm that has a manager from either of those countries.......:D

#19     Jun 26, 2003
  10. Some of you need to go out and find a great twisty country road and just drive! Get away from the computer for awhile and enjoy yourself and relax. If you want to join me, I'm the one out on these beautiful west Austin hill country roads tearing it up like Mika Hakkinen! :D

#20     Jun 27, 2003