i program, you mentor

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Joel Reymont, Jun 26, 2012.

1. As a software engineer who's made > 2,000,000 trades in 15 years...
    And work with the IB API extensively.

I've been following you on/off for about 5 years...
    Since you were working on your poker server.

You are a certified genius 10 as a software engineer...
    (I'm only a lowly 8, but I get it done)...
    And you just love twiddling shit at the bit level...
    But you are like a butterfly flitting from idea to idea...
    And you are always coding in some exotic language that has 92 users worldwide.

You will never make it as a trader on your own...
    It's just not your passion like software design is.

You are right that you need to hook up with someone like me...
    With capital... and a professional understanding of how to make money trading...
    But you will disappear in 3 months...
    To work on something arcane and transient for 3 months.
    That's why paying you hourly = FAIL.

There's a remote chance it might work...
    If you made a capital investment and were some sort of partner...
    Because without skin in the game...
    Even genius level people are worthless to a small business.

#21     Aug 5, 2012
  2. 2rosy

2rosy

its for personal account.

I have a another question for the OP. I am using python's ib library for my stuff (i dont need c++ and switched from java because development time in python is so much faster). Anyway, one thing i would like is a gui (i did this before in swing) but with python i tried pyqt and pygtk but cannot find out out to get the IB api feed coming in with out blocking the gui. I tried various threading calls and multiprocessing lib to no avail.

btw, you would probably make more money as a programmer. just dont call yourself a programmer people will think you dont know anything else.

#22     Aug 5, 2012
  3. +1

Someone knows how this game works. :D

#23     Aug 5, 2012
  4. Ok,

If you are really interested, I use Ninja Trader to trade futures. This means you need very little money to make money, and don't need to tie up that much of your capital.

I currently trade manually. What I would like you to do is create a simple strategy in Ninja Trader. If you are able to do this, and feel like you would like to attempt something that actually makes money, then I would like you to automate my strategy.

Once automated, we would sell it to a limited group hedge funds or high end traders for between $ 50,000 - $ 1,000,000 per copy depending how successful it does forward testing. All profits would be split 50 / 50 between us. Plus we would be free to use it to trade our own capital.

I would like the main program be setup on a virtual rented server so that it could be run 24 hours per day. I would like the signals to be sent to our trading accounts to execute trades. I will also like the program to not trade during certain dates and time periods. I also want it to first run in sim mode to clean out the bugs since I don't want to make the same mistake that Knight did where they rushed to go live and lost $ 440 million.

Also, I want to agree to start out for both of us to limit to just 1 contract per trade when we do live trading.

PM me if you are interested, but only after you did the strategy 1st to make sure you know how to program for this front end charting application.

#24     Aug 5, 2012
  5. Ya bro, you don't want to take down the exchange with this badass ninja-script. Why stop at a mil per license?

#25     Aug 5, 2012
  6. For hedge funds that manage $ billions, this is very little money. My previous strategy for trading Forex was rated at # 1 for over a year at a tracking site out of over 6,000 strategies. I consider the tracking site forward testing since it was trading subscribers real money account balances. My current strategy had some bugs, but I hopefully have fixed them all.

This strategy has taken over 3 years to develop with the help of some master traders here at ET.

I previously taught C++ programming, but it has been many years since I programmed, and I rather have someone do it for me.

#26     Aug 6, 2012
  7. No, you're right of course. I was #1 for 3 years (of all systems at C2), so I suppose I should hold out for $5MM.

You should stop now.

#27     Aug 6, 2012
  8. I rather work on getting my CTA then programming right now.

#28     Aug 6, 2012
  9. sle

sle

I wish I was little bit taller
    I wish I was a baller
    I wish I had a girl who looked good
    I would call her
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
    And a six four Impala

#29     Aug 6, 2012
  10. On the naive outside, all you see is easy upside, and on the inside it mostly comes down to facilitating perceived outside upside.

Never say no to flow.

#30     Aug 6, 2012