I pray Obama replaces Bernake ASAP

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Aaron Copland, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Check again pal..
    you be wrong..

#31     Jun 18, 2008
  2. I'm taking a gigantic black magic marker, and writing Ron Paul on my ballot.

I know it won't count, but it will satisfy me nonetheless.

Having said that, the equity markets did better under Clinton than most Republicans, and historical studies show that, in fact, most Democratic Presidents have the same effect on the equity markets compared to their GOP rivals.

Also, Obama is seriously considering a corporate tax break plan that hinges on hiring Americans.

And the shifting of government spending from war in the sandbox to rebuilding our infrastructure at home will be MUCH more stimulative to our GDP, which should help stabilize, if not lift, US equities.

This notion that Republicans are better for equity markets than Democrats is factually and historically false.

#32     Jun 18, 2008
  3. This is very true as they were originally created, but they changed about 20 years ago. Its growth and price stability, and has been for quite some time. I've lost track of how many times Greenspan and Bernanke have come outright and said that's their job. It used to piss me off, but I've accepted it. Yes, the two are often at odds with each other, which is why its such a tough job.

#33     Jun 18, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Unfortunately...

1. "Growth" does not necessarily mean "more goods and services", but rather the APPEARANCE of growth as measured by GDP... which has a significant inflation component included.

2. "Price Stability", does not mean "steady prices", but rather means "prices do not decline"... aka inflation.

The Fed accomplishes both goals by running the money-pump, inflating prices, and devaluing the $USD... and Americans are WAAAYYYYY too complacent about the ramifications.

#34     Jun 18, 2008
  5. Unfortunately, true.

As written in their "charter", their task is price stability.

Don't expect them to ever function in this capacity again. growth in GDP has become the main goal.

maybe we should just scrap the FED?

#35     Jun 18, 2008
  6. I've been looking at this thread and giving it some serious thought (LOL, true), and the question has occured to me?

How angry, digusted and disenfranced are Americans feeling (the majority of whom are still caucasion) that they would willing emplower an African-American in the highest office of the country?

Though we trivilizae it here with our piker (or not so piker) trading accounts (which last time I checked, did nothing to better the human condition ... not that I personally have a problem with that) this is actually an extremely historic even in the making.

Will it effect any real change?

Who knows, we won't see the real effects for at least another 100 hundred years or so.

But make no mistake, this represents a massive change in this country.

#36     Jun 18, 2008
  7. Dude or dudett, I trade futures. Capital gains never really come to mind.

However I can see how it may hurt some.

#37     Jun 18, 2008
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Obama will not be elected. Thank you for your time.

#38     Jun 18, 2008
  9. "Capital gains tax may not have come to mind before, but it will when he's done with it."

Personally, I'm like Mike Bloomberg, I am not greedy and do not believe in the "values" of a pure Rebublican, but I've seen WAY too many fuckups to even remotely pretend that I want to be a Democrat either.

I'm more middle of the road.

But they're definitely going to rob the rich to pay who the fuck knows? :confused:

#39     Jun 18, 2008
  10. On this I am going to have to agree with you Buy1Sell2 ... the reality is, given my personal experience, I couldn't see it happening "in a million years" ... but we'll wait and see how it goes down, this should be interesting.

#40     Jun 18, 2008