I-pad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by omegapoint, Apr 3, 2010.

1. lwlee

lwlee

A true early adopter/fanboy was someone who bought the original iPhone for $600. The iPhone was new and unproven. The price was WAY above other good phones going for like $100 or less. I waited until it was $200 and positively reviewed before I jumped in.

On the other hand, the iPad is proven due to it being based on the iPhone. It's price is surprisingly affordable, not the $1000 price tag people originally guessed. I bought it mainly for one reason, reading PDFs. I have a ton of technical PDFs that I need to go through. iPhone really isn't a good enough platform for reading. Nor are netbooks/laptops.

Just like any technology that will come down in price, I usually don't go for the most expensive one, in this case the 3G/Wifi 16gb iPad. If a new one comes in another year with a camera, I will buy that one too but again not the most expensive model. I have the 3G iPhone and skipped the 3GS but will probably upgrade to the 4G?

Unabash Apple fanboy, I think not. More like a pragmatic consumer that knows what's good. This is why Apple is winning mindshare because they can convince non-Mac people like me to buy their stuff. I still won't buy a Mac computer but I've been tempted to go with a laptop since one of my friends tried it and can't say enough good things about it. Halo effect but only because their sh*t is so good.

#21     Apr 3, 2010
  2. nitro

nitro

I am posting this from an apple store. They have plenty of them. I don't think this is going that well. Sell AAPL on Monday?

#22     Apr 3, 2010
  3. lwlee

lwlee

I had 700 shares at cost average of $128. Only have 200 left. Looking to sell at around $240-245 or Dow 11k.

Been thinking of shorting when it approaches MSFT in market cap but that means Apple goes to like $285. Maybe short Apple when the overall market rally has slowed. We may go to Dow 11.5k but I can't see us making it to 12k.

#23     Apr 3, 2010

4. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!:D

#24     Apr 3, 2010
  5. S2007S

S2007S

sure is!!

People waiting in line for an ipad is fucked up just as much, why any fool would wait on line for the ipad is beyond me.

#25     Apr 3, 2010
  6. S2007S

S2007S

So all of the sudden I'm reading articles stating the ipad is going to over take the netbook, laptops, etc. I hope everyone knows the tablet is nothing new, they have been around for 10+ years, all of the sudden apple comes out with a tablet and its on the verge of becoming the greatest piece of technology ever.

#26     Apr 3, 2010
  7. Cassie

Cassie

Screw an iPad, I want an iMat!!!

[​IMG]

LMAO:p :p

#27     Apr 4, 2010
  8. lwlee

lwlee

Munster is saying 600k to 700k iPads were sold over the weekend.

http://gizmodo.com/5509016/speculat...modo/full+(Gizmodo)&utm_content=Google+Reader

But then again, one commenter mentioned this,

Here's why I called bullshit (now that I have some time to explain).

So, there are around 200 Apple stores and 675 Best buys in the US that carried iPads. The grand total rests around 875-900 stores carrying the iPad on launch day.

Ok... in order for 875 stores to sell 700,000 iPads, they would've had to have sold 800 iPads EACH.

Now, it was reported that each of those 675 best buys would have 15 iPads each on launch day (5 of each wifi model). That means that all the iPads in all the Best Buys in the US on launch day added up to 10,125 units. That means that each Apple store would've had to push out ~3450 iPads in 8 hours.

EACH Apple store alone would've had to sell ~431 iPads per hour or ~7 iPads per minute.

The only way for 700,000 iPads to be sold in ONE DAY would've been if all 675 Best Buys and ~200 Apple stores (Wikipedia says there are 222 in the US) had ~780 iPads each and sold ~1.6 iPads per minute for 8 hours straight.

So... BULLSHIT.

But then again, there were a lot of pre-orders and I heard Apple was staffed to the hilt.

#28     Apr 4, 2010
  9. aegis

aegis

#29     Apr 4, 2010
  10. A friend of mine purchased one of the 64GB ipads in a Boston BBY at *3PM* yesterday. Wow, what huge demand.

#30     Apr 4, 2010