I only made 6.67% last month

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by enbiwe, Feb 4, 2013.

1. bjw

bjw

if these kind of threads start to surface you know a bear market isn't far away

#11     Feb 5, 2013
  2. paul g

paul g

Hi all,

Without doubt a good job but from a professional point of view, return is only one side of the moon (the bright side). It's important to know some about the dark side, something like sharpe ratio or similar to be able to evaluate somebody performance.

I'm not asking you for it but I believe it's very important people don't just look on the bright side, they must look for the dark side. What risk was assumed to reach that result?

When you know the dark side of the moon then you are ready to endure psychologically the bad times and believe me they will come!

Anyway, my congratulations on the results and it stays that way!

Regards,

paul g.

#12     Feb 5, 2013
  3. it was pretty high in jan...

#13     Feb 5, 2013
  4. i actually agree with you and i'm trying to be cautious when i trade...especially in Feb...

#14     Feb 5, 2013
  5. you're absolutely right.

my trading approach was based on the events - a portion of the return in jan was from HLF (Herbalife). when it was turing around sharply, i took a long position and got out of it once i made the profit i wanted.

then, i took a position on INVN before the earning - although i'm not good at estimating the earnings, i thought there was higher upside than downside.

lastly, i lost money on gold stocks - thought it would turn around with japanese government's announcement with its monetary policy.

#15     Feb 5, 2013
  6. People that do This For a living never use ROI as a measure for performance

#16     Feb 5, 2013
  7. What do they use?

#17     Mar 7, 2013
  8. asap

asap

risk adjusted return metrics, i.e. sharpe, sortino, sterling, etc. ratios. a measure of efficiency is how much did one make when compared with the risk or drawdown sustained over that period of time.

#18     Mar 7, 2013
  9. I remember my first month trading. BP's well blew out and I piled into puts. Doubled my stake.

Then I attempted to learn from Gurus, and slowly lost it all to time decay.

:(

Lessons learned: strong trends tend to continue, options tend to decay.

:cool:

#19     Mar 8, 2013
  10. Learning from a Guru........LOL

they have a hard job. they can't just say "sell, and let's meet again in 3 weeks."

No, they need returns about every day, or every other. so they always must have opinions at every tick. that is ridiculous.

they always sell something, because they need your money before you realize how bad they need your money. they want to tell you everything they know and that will only confuse everyone. which is why smart and good traders manage money and don't have to talk all day about dumb stuff....they just have to trade.

like Friday......I still want to sell 49's, but it depends how it gets there. maybe less chance I want to sell later in the day.

so if I was a guru....I would either buy the ES on a scalp or buy gold or something IF the dollar looked weak early. if this isn't playing out in the first hour, I guess wait until the last hour....

man, being a guru is tough!!!!

#20     Mar 8, 2013