I Never owned a DELL and never will

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by konviction, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Agreed and it's hard to believe with the collective brainpower of many guys who can crunch numbers and data that they wouldn't make certain that every component in their pc's was well put together.

#11     Jun 30, 2010
  2. What about this ? What would you change ? I want 6 24" monitors

Intel 1366 6 Core - Core i7 980 Extreme - 3.33 Ghz FSB 1600 12Mb
    Noctua NH-D14 - Ultra Quiet
    Intel i7 DDR3 s1366 - Asus P6T V2 Deluxe X58 - 3xPCIe -1394 -7.1Ch HD
    2x DDR3 for I7 1366 - 1600 Mhz - 6Gb Corsair TripleX (3x2Gb) Xms3 + Heat spreader
    2x SATA2 HDD 1000 Gb - 7200 rpm - 64 Mb Cache WD Caviar Black Sata 6 Gb/s interface 5 Year WD warranty
    Sata - Graveur DVD LG / Sony / Samsung Dual 8,5 Go / DVD±R /±RW / CD±RW Noir
    Coolermaster - Boitier Coolermaster Haf 922 - No alim
    Corsair - 750 watts Série HXEU / Cable Modulaire / Super Silence 12cm
    Windows7 Professional 64-bit UK + Installation & configuration
    3x ATI Radeon HD5870 EYEFINITY,2G GDDR5,MiniDP+DVI/HDMI Cab,PCIe

#12     Jun 30, 2010
  3. Foxconn makes lots of OEM mobos for Dell, HP, and others. Likely other OEMs had similar problems.

To say, "I'll never own a Dell because of this" is ridiculous.

However, I wouldn't buy a Dell desktop from the lines which have budget mobos... especially if it has "onboard video".

My first Dell was a Dimension 4400. Since, I've had several Dimension 8250 & 8300s, and several Precisions currently... all perfectly fine.

#13     Jun 30, 2010
  4. Only?

#14     Jun 30, 2010
  5. Baloney. Even the most fastidious enthusiast trusts that their mobo components are adequate. They presume it's so until a failure reveals a problem. The most expensive, name-brand mobo is subject to having a capacitor go bad.

#15     Jun 30, 2010
  6. Many companies design their products to fail. They want them to work well enough so that you get attached to it to the point where when it does break, you immediately want another.

Selling razors they want you to get the best shave of your life; once. Then go buy another.

I'm not saying Dell does this. I have had good experience with Dell and I've had the run around where you have to think they design false stupidity into their system to scam you. Like the idiot departments where you wait on hold and get transferred to the point where you spend more time on the subject then the value of the transaction. Are they really hoping you just give up and they steal your money?

Cell phone companies are the worst.

All the while we have to consider what the qualifications are to work in the call center where the calls go.

#16     Jun 30, 2010
  7. Why "3x Eyefinity"? One would presumably run 6 monitors... or you could use 3x, dualhead workstation cards and save a bundle of $$.

#17     Jun 30, 2010
  8. How does that notion play with warranties? Some Dell components carry 4-year, several others 3-year. Do you believe products can be engineered to fail right after the warranty expires?

Any maker hopes/wants to have ZERO warranty service... it's expensive. Better to put out a quality product and NEVER have to bother with warranty claims... as best you can manage.

#18     Jun 30, 2010
  9. iPhone you can't replace battery.

Sure they design stuff to die shortly after warranty. I'm not saying Dell does that but companies definitely do it.

How often do you get a new cell phone? How many has the average person had in the past ten years? Why would a cell phone that sits on a desk misteriously die a week after warranty expires and the contract period ends - so you can call and be told "you're elegible for an UPGRADE" and they "sell" you an upgrade and continue your "contract" both of which are scams.

AT&T gets caught doing criminal acts all the time and they get off by paying civil fines. They pay a fine in one state and get away with it in 49 others. They need to start putting CEO's in prison.

#19     Jul 1, 2010
  10. It's one thing to sell a product that has a problem and breaks, but its another to sell a product you KNOW is faulty, but continue to sell them anyway.

BP, toyota, and Goldman are three great examples. BP's ignorance, has cost billions, and the lives of several BP workers, and Toyota with their sticky gas pedal. Then you have Goldman that made a fortune trading against their own clients.

#20     Jul 1, 2010