I need to share this.....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AnonymousTrader, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Before, moving this to chit chat, read all the way.

There is a joke,

An average Joe, wakes up one morning and hears a voice in his head.

"Joe, listen to me very carefully, I'm your inner voice. Sell all your stuff, pawn your watch and ring, sell your car, mortage your house, take all the cash, drive down to Atlantic City, go into the Tropicana, find the 4th roulette table from the 5 cent slots, bet all of it on 23!"

Joe, thinks about it, laughs and thinks "forget it!"

Next morning,
    The same inner voice
    "Joe, listen to me very carefully. Sell all your stuff, pawn your watch and ring, sell your car, mortage your house, take all the cash, drive down to Atlantic City, go into the Tropicana, find the 4th roulette table from the 5 cent slots, bet all of it on 23!"

Joe gets concerned, but does nothing.

Next morning,

"Joe, listen to me very carefully, this is your last chance. Sell all your stuff, pawn your watch and ring, sell your car, mortage your house, take all the cash, drive down to Atlantic City, go into the Tropicana, find the 4th roulette table from the 5 cent slots, bet all of it on 23!"

So Joe thinks that this must be real, takes all of his stuff - sells it, pawns his ring, watch, mortages his house, gets close to 750,000 - all of his belongings, including maxes out Credit Card for cash advances. He drives a 2 hour drive to AC. Finds the Tropicana, finds the 4th table from the 5cent slots, bets everything on 23!"

The roulette spins and spins, and the ball finally lands on......

Joe is in clinical shock. The inner voice says "Oh, 17, my bad!"

This happened to me today. I have no idea how. At 3:40, my inner vocie told me to short microsoft. Its been up the whole day, not a whole lot of selling of it......looks good for a long. My inner voice says "short Microsoft....trust me." And I did. 20,000 shares.

Point of the story: if you're decision to make a trade sounds like it could be a joke - don't do it!

2. ig0r

ig0r

You shorted half a million dollars of MSFT based off of a voice in your head?

3. Yup.

(at least I didnt loose it all - i closed my position before 4:00)

I haven't made such mistakes in a VERY long while.

4. All I want to know, is how and when you are going to repay me. You took everything we had at home, bet it all on msft sort?. Now I'll have to take away your broadband privileges.:D

5. Thank god i didn't risk EVERYTHING. But don't take away my broadband access. I need the relief

6. nkhoi

nkhoi

your "voice" could be 1 day early.

7. Too little, too late,

In my case too many too early.

8. I'm going to take a break from softie. It hasn't been treating me well lately. Any of you take on this beast?

9. I think you're a liar. You shorted half a million dollars of MSFT
    because of an "inner voice." Ok sure. :p

10. A few q's for you: what is your average trade size?(or how far is this from your regular trade size?) do you have a tight stop loss if this trade goes the wrong way? Did you hedge your position in any way? Hope the trade works out for you. good fortune.

#10     Nov 24, 2003