I need career advice. Degree in Computer Enginerring?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cheeks, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Whamo

Whamo

The IT industry is composed of much more than just software development. Careers include Project Management, Server Administrators, PC Technicians, Internetworking (Configuration/Design of network hardware and protocols such as switches, routers, TCP/IP, OSPF; troubleshooting using Sniffers, Network Management Software and other diagnostic equipment.) Implementation of LAN's and WAN's, and Business/Systems Analysts that can tie the business and technical world together to name a few. Technology is only going to get more, not less complex in the years to come.

#51     Feb 9, 2003
  2. Also, I haven't heard a lot of stories about foreign outsourcing, but what I have heard has been bad - real bad. Miscommunication, slow communication, lack of control, cultural differences, etc. etc. are the problems that I've heard. Imo this sounds like a fad that will fade in popularity as the pain just continues.

#52     Feb 9, 2003
  3. cheeks, here is my advice.

go read rich dad poor dad or cashflow quadrant and you'll learn the fundamentals of entrepreneurship. I am learning to trade because of his inspiring book.

#53     Feb 9, 2003
  4. I apply two rules in life:
    1) Is it fun?
    2) Does it make money?

Then I would weight them. For instance, I apply this standard ..do I enjoy this *whatever* so darn much that I really really really want to experience more of it? I need it! I want It! It is in my soul! My being!

Then go for it. Life is too short. The money must take a distant second.

BUT and this is a big but... If you want *it* anything less than this ...

then look at the money aspect too.

This is as far as I can take you.:)

Good Luck.

#54     Feb 9, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Yes...

If I were thinking of getting into the "industry" again, there is not doubt what I would do - I would become a CISCO CCNA and/or other CISCO certifications.

The only downside is the travel, but if you are single...

nitro

#55     Feb 10, 2003
  6. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Actually Microsoft is one of my clients: I have worked a bit above the product support level. You are correct that MS does most of its new product development in the US. However they are not adverse to using offshore operations when it suits the job. In fact, they have used offshore operations to do more than simply "convert" the localized versions of Windows (in the past).

Software design and coding is moving quickly towards a commodity skillset: little is secret any more. The tricks and techniques that were not widely known 5 or 10 years ago are common knowledge today. Very little truly new engineering has come along that is worth a premium. What does this indicate ? It should be clear that the software business - now I am talking about widely sold business apllications and operating systems - is mature and a mature industry is NOT where you want to be if you are thinking about changing careers or just stating out: If you want merely a paycheck then yes, go for it. If you want an exciting and upwardly mobile carrer path then working for a commodity software company or shooting for an internal corporate IT position is not where I would want to be for the next 10 years ......

#56     Feb 10, 2003
  7. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

It is not a fad: You can get online and do a video conference across the world. If my labor force can be conferenced at the drop of a hat and manged remotely using the same management techniques and quality processes that are used here in the states, and has the same - or in some cases better - engineering skills - then the only other factor to consider is price. Here there is no comparison. China, India, Russia, and other countries are far cheaper in most cases than performing the work in the states.

End of story.

Commodity skillsets in IT and software engineering etc are finished. If you want to stay in software or IT you had better occupy a unique market niche that can command premium pricing and that has a barrier to entry for your potential competitors.

#57     Feb 10, 2003
  8. *************************************************
    It is not a fad: You can get online and do a video conference across the world. If my labor force can be conferenced at the drop of a hat and manged remotely using the same management techniques and quality processes that are used here in the states, and has the same - or in some cases better - engineering skills - then the only other factor to consider is price. Here there is no comparison. China, India, Russia, and other countries are far cheaper in most cases than performing the work in the states.

End of story.

Commodity skillsets in IT and software engineering etc are finished. If you want to stay in software or IT you had better occupy a unique market niche that can command premium pricing and that has a barrier to entry for your potential competitors.

I believe it - I'm just biased because of the few nasty stories I've heard.

It's kind of strange to think about the fact that ten years ago they were saying we needed to retrain our domestic poor so that they can move into the technical jobs that our economy needed. Now even the technical jobs are moving overseas. What kind of world is my young son going to be facing in another ten years?

#58     Feb 10, 2003
  9. I'll sell you my Penn State Chem E degree:cool:

... fortunately I never toiled even one day as an "official" chemical engineer (although I was a Sales Engineer for many years).

An engineering degree is always an asset -- there are many directions one can take. Several of my friends went on to become patent attorneys (excruciatingly boring IMO, but great $$).

Good Luck.

#59     Feb 10, 2003
  10. corvus

corvus

I don't think there's anything commodity about writing good software. This isn't chicken farming.

#60     Feb 10, 2003