I need a seasonal chart for rough rice

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by triggertrader, Nov 12, 2007.

1. maolman

maolman

Hey si -- I got your PM but I can't PM you back. You need to go into "Your Account" and, if you desire, set your options to "yes" where it says "Enable Private Messaging?".

In answer to your question about seasonal charts, I'm sorry to say that there are currently NO FREE sites to get these charts, other than the Spectrum Commodities site originally suggested by youngtrader. However, we're dealing with SEASONALS here so, even if Spectrum's service is well outdated, you will find that most of the charts, with some wise personal fundamental adjustment, will likely still fairly closely apply. Naturally, the world dynamic is changing the SCALE of the supply/demand quotient but, for the most part, the timing hasn't changed all that much.

That having been said, no one I know seriously BLINDLY follows ANY seasonal or spread trade without doing close, individual due diligence before anything else. These are all merely historical tendencies, and even NONE of the UP-TO-DATE tendencies are written in stone. They are merely only meant to prick one's attention to a "special" set of possibilities where lower risk 'might" prevail.

Anyway, the other sites will sometimes allow a ONE-TIME FULL-CAPABILITY account demo for around 30 days. There are really only THREE (3) sites worth looking at, whether you're looking for "free" or you're willing to cough up the subscription money:

1. Moore Research Center, Inc. (MRCI) -- LONG established (close to 30 years, I think), best research, deepest database and, though they seem a little bit more expensive than the others, they are much more cost effective if you subscribe to their "Online" package -- subscribe to the annual package as the monthlys will rip your knickers ($379/year = a little under $31.60/month). It appears that they have withdrawn their 30-day free trial offer for the time being.

http://mrci.com/

2. Time & Timing -- not as well established as MRCI, but has a very large and growing database for spreads and seasonals. The site is owned, programmed and run by a long-time and well-known futures/commodities trader of St. Louis, MO, Stuart A. Johnston. It has a raft of real neat, but still developing tools. Some of the site presentation is herky-jerky and counter-intuitive. Although not yet as polished as MRCI, this is an EXCELLENT source for this type of information. The research methods differ somewhat from MRCI's, as Johnston wanted to view spread and seasonal information from a different perspective than that of MRCI. Therefore, the ideas and trade suggestions ALSO differ somewhat -- so, they COMPLIMENT one another very well. Again, the annual subscription is the way to go ($269/year = about $22.42/month). Johnston currently has a 30-day free trial offer.

http://www.timeandtiming.com/

3. Scarr Trading -- I don't know much about this site, its author or its philosophy. I didn't get a real good chance to put this site to a heavy test before it went to full subscription. You can still get ALL of their services FREE for ALL Corn and ALL Crude Oil contracts -- a fairly decent sample if one is interested in such a service. Again, this site represents yet ANOTHER viewpoint and contains some very interesting and useful data and chart type not available in the other two sites. The COOL thing is, right on their MAIN/HOME Page, as you scroll down, you will see a COMPLETE example of EACH of the different items you get when you subscribe -- there's lots of stuff and plenty of eye-candy. As with the others, the annual subscription is the way to go ($149.95/year = basically, $12.50/month). There is no trial offer other than the COMPLETE Corn/Crude Oil access I mentioned above. The best thing I can do is just send you there to see for yourself.

http://scarrtrading.com/svt/Home.do

MRCI and T&T are the places to go for the pure research and accuracy in arriving at seasonal and/or spread trade suggestions. The way T&T's database is set up, query returns are highly redundant, but the quality is very dependable -- if not on MRCI's level, EXTEREMELY close! I would go to either of these sites to find worthwhile trade ideas.

Conversely, Scarr Trading's site is ENTIRELY VISUAL! I would NOT go there looking for trading ideas! HOWEVER, this site is OUTSTANDING for doing supplementary, in-depth background research on the various futures/commodities spreads and seasonals AND spread-seasonals in which one might be interested.

Eventually, I WILL subscribe to all 3 of these sites.

BTW, for triggertrader, Scarr Trading DOES NOT cover Rough Rice, but MRCI and T&T both DO :D :D :D :cool: :cool:

---

Mike Collier
    Oak Harbor, WA

#11     Nov 15, 2007
  2. I absolutely love MRCI.

:)

#12     Nov 20, 2007
  3. I absolutely love MRCI.

:)

#13     Nov 20, 2007
  4. I subscribed to the a trial of Time and Timing yesterday and absolutely loving it.

Browsing through data, I know now there's prior precedence for wheat to crap out end of Dec., and Buying Gold is going into January is an idea (based on last two years data).

The results of various searches are different based on number of years of data. 8, 11, 14 years are primary ones. In some searches 2,3,5 years are choices.

Time and Timing has some interesting new "dissections" for shorter term trades. Example, "In January, Buy X on Wednesdays and sell at the 3rd close". It also has stops and gap information. I think there's some basis to this kind of trading, besides using Technical Analysis.

I have yet to check out MCRI so I have no comparison.

To not fall too much in love with this new way to look at markets, I gotta constantly remind myself that what's offered by seasonals is statistics and history.

I am new to seasonals so I wonder how people use it. Do you just follow seasonal stats straight or combine stats with technical indicators or ...? Do you use "options on futures" (I heard these are rip offs so I am staying away for no), or futures spread?

TT

#14     Dec 28, 2007