I need a program to ID HDD activity

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by J.P., May 10, 2010.

1. J.P.

J.P.

Is there a simple program that can identify the program that is creating hard-drive activity as it is occurring? I need one that will work with 64-bit Windows 7. Or is there a utility or something already in Windows 7 that can do this?

2. J.P.

J.P.

I don't believe Task Manager identifies disk drive activity by source. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thanks.

3. J.P.

J.P.

4. J.P.

J.P.

I'll be trying Process Monitor, but do you know if DiskMon works on 64-bit Windows 7? It doesn't say so on the site but it looks like the perfect program for my needs. Thank you and best regards.

5. If you can find and show an example of a source being utilized from the HDD and not showing up on task mgr, I'd be interested to see it. I assume you are referring to source as the running process name which can be located via search, rather than the absolute source path.

I suppose an example of not showing an active area of HDD activity might be something like defrag running and tsk mgr not displaying portions of drive being accessed.

edit: ok, looked at above. If you are referring to literal activity of all read/write actions and their location on the disk, the diskmon sounds like a good option.

Wonder how much of a resource hog it would be to run full time in the background, any ideas zgtrader?

6. J.P.

J.P.

OK, I understand. Thanks again.

7. #10     May 11, 2010