I need a new router, any advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forsalenyc, Feb 13, 2011.

1. I've had this same D-Link G-router for 4 years now. I know routers are supposed to be replaced every 2-3 years. My friend, a tech junkie, told me that Linksys E3000 is the way to go. I did some research and found E2000 to be a better value($126.99 v $67.99). some reviews suggest that E2000 is even faster....just not simultaneously dual band. would this affect trading at all? any inputs appreciated. I'm ordering this week...just don't know which one.

2. tlow

tlow

Yo,

I think you need to figure out first of all what you need...

1.) Is your feed wireless or hardwired? If hardwired, do you need wireless for the kiddies or messing around on a laptop?
    2.) If wireless, remember you are always limited by your limiting factor in terms of speed. IE, if you ISP only spits out 10mb/s...you don't need to bother getting a 450mb/s router, unless you are using SSH or VPN or VNC or networking a lot or something of that nature...(unless you want dual band or something to help extend your range in your house.)...
    The only other comment is look into some reviews, some routers have a tendency to drop connections, low speed at times, have to reset often, whatever.

check your ISP speed here: http://www.speedtest.net

3.) If you are hardwired do some search on this site, you may want to look into getting a switch on top of your router or possibly daisy chain 2 routers to make everything more secure...ie use the old router for the kiddies

I just got a linksys e4200...its the latest and greatest. On sale at bestbuy for $149.99

I must say it is way overkill for me but my speed is super consistent now and this router will be good for at least a couple of years if not more. Also, if you like messing around you can use dd-wrt as your firmware with the linksys routers as well (not available yet for the e4200). Helps make it more secure and gives you more options within the router.

3. forsalenyc: what are your technical and budget requirements? Router prices vary by the technologies supported, number of ports available, and the wireless speed.

Is this a setup for home (home-office)? Or for a small commercial office?

I haver been using a Netgear WNR1000 wireless router:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAA#

about $70 (when I bought it). It supports the N-150 wireless standard. Worked okay. Bought about a year ago. I think you should look at something that supports N-300 wireless standard and up (faster than N-150).

I used to use Linksys routers but I don't like them as much now. Netgear and D-link products seem better for home use. (Cisco had bought out Linksys and they are more and more for small commercial offices.)

4. For you guys who understand the protocols....

Most of us likely have routers compatible only with IPv4.. but the new thing is IPv6.

What will be the impact of the new standard on those of us who have the older routers? Will the new IPv6 websites not be accessible? Will we need to replace our current IPv4 routers with new, IPv6-ers??

5. I am new to IP v6, but I really like my Lynksis WRT54GL since you can run ParaCloud Tomota, I run, or DD-WRT which support IP V6, but would probably bet considered somewhat beta. Plus the router is only about $66 from newegg, I have had mine about a year.

6. I don't think this is something we as a home user need to worry about. It is the ISP's job. (Internet Service Provider. e.g. AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, etc.). On your home router, anything that is not inside your home network will be routed to the ISP's equipment. So if your ISP still support you in IPv4 you are okay. Unless/until they require that you must have IPv6 equipment on your end at home.

7. tlow

tlow

Ya they said the e4200 will be updated via firmware later this year...whatever...I don't care, IPV6 has awhile before its fully adopted...also Im sure the guys over a DD-WRT will get it sorted out well before then.

Also, like Boli mentioned, if your incoming ISP box doesn't support ipv6...don't really need it on your router.

I agree with Boli that the D-links and netgears offer better plug and play. Specifically Dlink (I've had trouble with netgears dropping connections and having to reset the boxes a lot). But if you want to get into security more dd-wrt, and more advanced networking take a look at linksys.

8. This is for my home setup. I have no budget requirements. I guess my technical requirement could be having a connection faster than my current speed(25mbps/4mbps). My setup is hardwired, but I do have a laptop, but not used for trading. Thanks for the links, but I've never used netgear........I'll do more research on it.

9. If you know what you do and need a super flexible router get something from Mikrotik (RoutaerBoard). They range from low end cheap to highe end 600 USD routers. Within the stuff between you can run 30km wireless links, handle full BGP routes in an internet backbone and have a powerfull firewal / router combination that runs on really low power cunsumption hardware.

I run a 450G (5x gibgabit) in the office now and am getting a 1100 next month (unless they announce the 1200 by then) - 13 gigabit ports, two switch groups - to run my calculation cluster.

#10     Feb 14, 2011