I need a Mentor

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Yacob, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Are you saying any mentoring through the Net is not possible, Yes or No? Simply answer please, thanks. Bye! :D

#31     Nov 2, 2006
  2. You are 100% correct and that cuts to the heart of the subject. A real Mentor is working in his/her community and through observation, or word of mouth, comes accross deserving people that the Mentor can help. The Mentor may not be the person that does the actual training/coaching. The Mentor may just be the person that puts you in touch with those people that have the actual skill. The Mentor opens doors, makes contacts and opens up a new world to the person being mentored.
    People think that saying they're hard workers, dedicated, will be forever grateful, and will buy a fucking sandwich for the homeless are deserving of mentorship. All those qualities are what you should be doing anyway. You don't get extra credit for being a decent human being.

#32     Nov 2, 2006
  3. In other words, anybody can do mentoring through the internet.

I didn't say that's not possible.

What I did say was that if your going to do it right...

In person mentoring is the way to go.

I further explained that some traders make the mistake of thinking they are mentoring through the internet by telling someone their computer codes or rules of their trading plan.

We have many threads here at EliteTrader.com for example that does the above and surely nobody considers that to be mentoring (I truly hope not).

In addition, I want to re-emphasis one more time.

Internet mentoring allows the student to hide (intentionally or not intentionally) trading problems that a internet mentor is unable to see nor resolve.

That same student will easily have trading problems identified and resolved when the mentoring is done in person.

Treat your trading as if your trying to learn and exceed at a sport.

If you can't understand this...don't go into the mentoring business because the odds are high that most of your students will fail because you failed in setting up a proper student/mentor environment.

Once again, I did not say you cannot do internet mentoring.

I said if your going to mentor and want the odds in favor of your student to succeed...

Do it in person or why bother getting involved in such type of business (mentoring)???

I want to conclude my involvment in this thread by saying a few more things.

If someone pays a mentor thousands of dollars for internet mentoring...

That's a fool when that same trader can easily afford to go trade with his mentor in person or vice versa via paying to mentor to come to him.

P.S. My first reply in this thread had a link that clearly discusses that a student should make sure someone is qualified to be a mentor.

Just the same, a mentor should make sure someone is qualified to be one of his/her students and the ability to pay the mentor fee or to say I'll try hard doesn't qualify someone as a student with all the tools in place to be properly mentored.

It works both ways in a good student/mentor relationship.

Mark

#33     Nov 2, 2006
  4. No! I don't "capiche". This may come as a surprise to you and others, but there are many people in the world that don't require money to share their experience, or their contacts. As stated in my post above, finding people deserving of that asssitance is the real challenge for the Mentor. It ain't about the money for the true Mentor. It's about giving back to those that need some help. It's about being humble enough to realize just how fortunate you are to be in a position to help. I know this because I am a Mentor, and while you may be shocked at this, there is more to life than trading/making money. Mentorship takes many forms and people need help and guidance in many areas of life. Making a difference is what it's all about.

#34     Nov 2, 2006
  5. <i>"I know this because I am a Mentor, and while you may be shocked at this, there is more to life than trading/making money. Mentorship takes many forms and people need help and guidance in many areas of life. Making a difference is what it's all about."</i>

I am a mentor, too... which I hope does not come as a shock. I work with mostly young people (but all ages accepted) to learn about outdoor pursuits, conservation and preservation of wildlife and natural resources. Not only do I mentor, I donate heavily to many organizations in the environmental = wildlife world.

What I mentor for free about has nothing, zero, zilch to do with money, and it is most rewarding indeed.

That is dramatically different than mentoring for free in a pursuit all about money. Wanna learn about wildlife & nature? I'll work with anyone for free.

Wanna learn how to make money? Then don't play the trump card that mentoring traders should be au gratis. If that is true, please walk into your employer's office this morning and tell them you'll be tearing up your paycheck from now on. It'll feel much better to you volunteering your time and effort for free while your employer benefits monetarily from your efforts.

Capiche`?

#35     Nov 2, 2006
  6. I thought I was done with this thread but when I saw your post...

I decided to post one more time.

Your explaining one side of the track and its a good one.

The other side of the track is that there are good coaches, good mentors, good tutors that are great at their job and they charge bundles for their expertise.

To imply you aren't a true mentor, a true coach, a true tutor if you charge a fee is absurd.

Go tell that to a NFL football coach he's not a true coach because he's making millions coaching.

Go tell that to a private piano tutor that she's not a true tutor because she's charging thousands of dollars.

Go tell that to a academic tutor in college getting paid to help someone pass a difficult course

Go tell that to any parent (like me) that has paid a fee to someone that has the ability to help/encourage one of their children that has a very special gift in academics.

(my almost 4 year old is fluent in 3 languages and is already doing simple math equations - addition, substraction and multiplication...my toddler is also a darn good skier like his mom - former paid ski instructor)

My point, a fee or no fee is not the determining factor if someone is a true mentor.

To think such is absurd.

With that said, you mentoring for free is wonderful and I take my hat off for you.

However, if I met someone with your exact expertise and talent to teach...

They decide to charge a fee...that doesn't lower their quality as a person nor decrease their teaching abilities.

Simply, there are countless types of mentor/coach/tutor jobs that someone charges a fee as their only source of income and I've named a few above.

Therefore, for some it ain't about money and for others its about the money while both are just as equally qualified.

To sum up the above...

I'm with austinp on this while still glad your one of the few willing to do it for free.

Disclaimer: I don't mentor and my family is much more important to me because mentoring would take up too much of my time and energy.

Mark

#36     Nov 2, 2006
  7. sounded like matt damon from "good will hunting".........."club a baby seal,hit the hash pipe & eat scrod with quaker state"..................not bad.....lol

#37     Nov 2, 2006
  8. <b>Mark</b>, you said it all so eloquently and so well, there is nothing more to be said from my perspective.

Give willingly to pursuits which are not dollar based AND for the greater good of all.

When dollars are involved for the benefactor, it is not philanthropy... it is pure business.

#38     Nov 2, 2006
  9. When it comes to trading, the issue is more about those who will benefit from the help than those who need it. Everybody needs it. And few will benefit since they're too lazy to do the work. They prefer instead to be told what to do (buy here, sell there).

If the mentor is to be expected to work for free, the student better have a lot of potential.

LC

#39     Nov 2, 2006
  10. I commend you on your mentoring endeavors and you make a good point I hadn't considered regarding learning how to make money. At this point I'll concede your arguement is the better one regarding the mentoring of a trader.

#40     Nov 2, 2006