I need a Mentor

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Yacob, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I'll help you for free....btw, could you post up a picture of your girlfriend?

#11     Nov 1, 2006
  2. All the elitist asses sound off! And it sounds like this:

Don't you know that nobody learns how to trade, all the old hands around here were born with it. Shame on you for even trying to join the club. What a stupid idea, to shave time off of your financial education by actually watching a real trader. You won't find one though, because real traders are a myth. As soon as someone figures out how to do it (or are born with it), they disappear from the rest of the world, hidden from view by their unteachable, unquantifiable knowledge! Hey, you either have it or you don't, and clearly you don't otherwise you wouldn't have asked a question, let alone this silly one. Don't post, newbie, when you can use the search button to find what a real trader already said about a question similar to yours.

Sounds pretty lame guys. Grow up.

#12     Nov 1, 2006
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I don't think anyone took issue with him asking for help, its the idea that someone should teach for free what has taken them probably years of time, a lot of frustration and countless lost dollars and just pass it on out of the goodness of their heart. It seems that trading is the only field that its expected that knowledge should be given for free. Hell even public school teachers "free" are paid some sort of salary.

#13     Nov 1, 2006
  4. I need one too. I would guess just about every person on this forum could use one. Chances are slim you'll find an actual mentor here, or anywhere else for that matter. Actual mentors are few and far between. Perhaps that's as it should be.
    Most people, myself included, couldn't be helped by a mentor if one actually showed up. Why's that? Can't devote enough time to trade. Undercapitalized to boot. Why would a mentor waste their valuable time with that? It's just trial and error for most of us. Could be worse though. I could have bought a book on how to win at craps all those many years ago.:eek:

#14     Nov 1, 2006
  5. <i>"Don't you know that nobody learns how to trade, all the old hands around here were born with it. Shame on you for even trying to join the club. What a stupid idea, to shave time off of your financial education by actually watching a real trader."</i>

Watching a real trader can be invaluable. Working with a real trader in any capacity can shorten a learning curve.

Working with a real fitness coach can be invaluable. Working with a real golf pro can be invaluable. Working with a personal pitching coach, quarterbacks coach, basketball coach, soccer coach, billiards coach, Hold'em coach, skeet shooting coach... you name it, mentorship is invaluable.

Now... which of those listed above are free? Please point me toward a professional from any of that list above who will work months = years with a student for free.

I'll take it... sign me up!

#15     Nov 1, 2006
  6. gkishot

gkishot

I am offering you instead to manage your money. Is it ok?

#16     Nov 1, 2006
  7. I might be able to fix you up for sambar, for a small fee.:)

I dont need a mentor though.........

#17     Nov 1, 2006
  8. True Mentors don't charge a fee, which is why they are so rare. Paid trainers...dime a dozen. Most aren't worth the dime.

#18     Nov 1, 2006
  9. True mentors don't charge a fee to students who are worth the trouble, and such students are also very rare.

LC

#19     Nov 1, 2006
  10. If you guys know a true mentor...why don't you send Yacob a private message the name and contact info of such a person.

As I said before, any real mentor knows there are hidden costs involved in that the student is actually paying a fee along with the mentor paying the student a fee...

Without a single penny being exchange.

Simply, no free lunch in this business.

If you don't understand what I mean by hidden costs...here's a hypothetical example.

Trader A is looking for a mentor to teach him how to swing trade or position trade treasury futures profitably.

More specifically, he wants to be mentored for free after being convinced by a few trading pals that a true mentor doesn't charge a single penny.

He gets two offers (references from his trading pals) by two traders that show their verified trading records.

Mentor One lives in a different state and tells him that the mentoring will last about 4 weeks in person mentoring with about 4 months of online follow-up.

Trader A turns down Mentor One offer because the airplane fare and hotel costs comes to several thousand dollars.

Along with the fact its too long of a stay from his family (more about the family situation later in this story).

Hidden costs too expensive

Now, what about the other Mentor.

Mentor Two lives near his home town Chicago, Illinois.

Actually Trader A lives within 30mins driving distance of Mentor Two.

Perfect and Trader A accepts the offer by Mentor Two.

Trader A had an agreement with his wife (his wife works) that he can trade on Mon, Tues and Weds but he must take care of the kids on Thurs and Fri.

The agreement (a compromise) was so that they can save money on day care costs because they are only taking the kids to day care on Mon, Tues and Weds.

Thus, they are only paying for just three days of day care per week.

Trader A calls the day care and decides to pay the extra fee (about $650) to send the kids to day care so that it now includes Thurs and Fri.

Mentor Two is so good at making sure his clients are properly prepared to trade and be a student that has the proper trading tools...

After a close inspection of Trader A...Mentor Two tells Trader A that Trader A is undercapitalized by about 15k.

Trader A talks with the spouse and they go to their bank to take out a personal loan of 15k with low interest.

Mentor Two also tells Trader A he needs to get a new data vendor and get a particular data vendor because that vendor has more reliable data feed and uses a particular trading platform that's the same as what Mentor Two uses.

This other data vendor cost more than Trader A current data vendor by about $150 per month.

To save money...Trader A gets a annual contract with the new data vendor and saves 10% because of such.

Mentor Two tells Trader A he needs to upgrade his computers to Windows XP Professional along with upgrading the computer itself to handle the new trading platform...

Costs...another $640.

Ooops...almost forgot...30mins driving to Mentor Two home office and 40mins of driving in that long traffic jam back home around 5pm est.

Darn...toll fees total about $3.25 each day.

Trader A brings a sack lunch each day but Mentor A manages to persuade Trader A to go out for lunch at least once per week...

Trader A picks up the tab because its the least he can do because Mentor Two is mentoring him for free.

Ooops again, I almost forgot to mention that Mentor Two makes about 7k per week trading Treasury Futures.

During the mentoring of Trader A, due to the distractions of educating Trader A during real trading...

Mentor Two was only making about 5k per week.

That's about 8k per month of reduced income for Mentor Two.

Yet, he has a kind heart and is a true mentor.

P.S. Trader A car insurance rates increased because he got a speeding ticket on one particular day while driving to the home office of Mentor Two...a trading day he's normally at home taking care of the kids (Friday).

Mark

#20     Nov 2, 2006