I need a desktop stock ticker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by misterno, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Here is the smallest window that still shows the price, it can run nicely in the background:

[​IMG]

Now you have your own-made, almost real time and free desktop ticker!!!

No charge for the idea.... :)

#21     Jun 8, 2011
  2. I liked google quotes they are real time and free

But I am using windows 7, so if I minimize it I can not see the price.

I minimized the window but it is still 4.5"X4", if I make it smaller then the price dissappears.

So I need to find a way to minimize it to a smaller dimension and use a software to make it stay on top all the time.

Any ideas?

#22     Jun 8, 2011
  3. Thanks for the idea

But since I am at work and several windows open all the time, I need to minimize this dimension even further and make it stay on top all the time

Any ideas?

EDIT:

I think I got it

I minimized all the way and only the top bar is seen where you can see the price anyway. This small rectangular shape is perfect so the only problem to be solved is how to make this thing stay on top all the time.

Any ideas?

#23     Jun 8, 2011
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

You are killing me dude, but since I like a good challenge, so here it is:

OK, to make it even smaller, this is what I did extra:

1. Using Opera, I shrank the page by 50%. (lower right corner, View)
    2. I removed ALL bars in Appereance.(it screwed up my browser, but made the image the possible smallest.)

This is how it looks, I don't think I can get it much smaller than this.

[​IMG]

#24     Jun 8, 2011
  5. I think I got it

I minimized all the way and only the top bar is seen where you can see the price anyway. This small rectangular shape is perfect so the only problem to be solved is how to make this thing stay on top all the time.

Any ideas?

By the way how do you post those small windows in your postings?

#25     Jun 8, 2011
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

I will try to work on the staying on top part. In the mainwhile..

1. Using PrintScreen, I take a snapshot of the website/desktop.
    2. Using Windows Paint I size it (cut off the not needed parts) and save the picture.
    3. Using imgur.com, I upload the picture and copy the Linked Image for Message Boards URL into the post.

#26     Jun 8, 2011
  7. I just looked at the sizes of my new small cute google window

It is 3"X1.25"

I am so happy with this free solution

So, right now I am searching in google for a free application to let this small window stay on top all the time.

#27     Jun 8, 2011
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, the obvious solution would be an "automatic Taskbar clicker" opening up Opera every X secs, but I don't think there is such a thing. Also, when you use/move/read your main working browser, the Opera ticker would disappear, and reappear after refresh, and that would be annoying, basicly flashing.

So if you don't mind to give up a little space on your monitor, here is my FINAL solution. Make the working browser slightly smaller, so the desktop Opera ticker can be seen. You have to sacrifice a little monitor space (about half inch), but I don't see any other solution.

Here is how it looks when Chrome being the working browser and Opera is in the lower right corner showing real time quotes for S&P:

[​IMG]

You can decide if you sacrifice a horizontal 1/4 inch or a vertical 1/2 inch, your preference...

#28     Jun 8, 2011
  9. Finally I found an app that will make windows stay on top free

http://dm2.sourceforge.net/overview.html

I installed it and it did not even ask for admin id and password so I don't have to bother our IT guys :)

#29     Jun 8, 2011
  10. #30     Jun 8, 2011