I need a desktop stock ticker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by misterno, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Krome

Krome

I think you want something like http://tradeatwork.com (you can have flying text (or intraday graph) tickers on your desktop, plus color codes you set)

I use it daily for quite some time now. What ticker(s) do you intent to monitor?

#11     Jun 6, 2011
  2. Tradeatwork.com

I downloaded at home just to try but no idea how it is working. No ticker no price nothing maybe it is because market is closed now?

Cooltick

I downloaded and tried at home, perfect size and structure I loved it but eventhe registered users get 2 minute update not real time.

Any other ideas? Price is not important I just need an application kust like cooltick which utilizes small space and gives me real time data.

I found this page

http://www.brighthub.com/money/investing/articles/23938.aspx

BUt these 5 applications except yahoo is not real time they are updated every minute not second

Does yahoo update their real time prices every second?

#12     Jun 7, 2011
  3. Krome

Krome

For t@w it's far from being intuitive.
    Once installed, right mouse boutton on SwissQuote (the only supported broker), then set the time to wait in sec (1 is possible yet demand bandwidth so I have it to 5-10 sec))

After that the Swissquote bar should turn green. Right mouse on it then query Symbol and add your tickers.
    Because it's a Swiss broker Us tickers requiere a ,U to be added. So for Apple it's AAPL,U

You should see this symbol being added then right click on the symbol to enable/dosable updates (useful when you have many tickers) or/and have floating windows for your desktop

Kind of a pain to know that initially but once up and running it rocks

Ps DJIA is the ticker for dow jones

Any questions, let me know

#13     Jun 8, 2011
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Here is a list of Windows 7 desktop gadgets for market quotes. At least 10 different types of tickers, check them out which one is live. The one I checked, Stock Ticker Tape uses Google live quotes, so should be fairly close to live.

http://gallery.live.com/results.aspx?bt=1&q=stock market

Another way to do is to find a website with real quotes and set your browser to update it in every X seconds. Since you just keep checking every once in a while, you don't really need a super duper live quote, a 20 second delay is just fine or you can click reload....

#14     Jun 8, 2011
  5. Krome

Krome

Last time I checked google quote it was only displaying last traded price as price. While okay ish on big ticker this was a no go for less frequently traded tickers. Does google quote now display proper bid/ask? Another annoyance for me was that most european tickers I trade are simply not supported.

#15     Jun 8, 2011
  6. Why is "last traded price" not "real time price"?

Isn't that what everyone needs?

Here is what I am looking for.

1) An application that I can use at work that will show the price of 1 NYSE traded stock. It doesn't need to have volume ticker or percentage up down, I just need REAL TIME price.

2) It would be nice if it always stays at top and instead of a bar, a small rectangular box would be enough.

3) Preferably free but I can pay one time fee as well.

4) All the ticker applications I found, are 20 minute delay except yahoo which charges $10/month. So, please make sure the application you are suggesting is "REAL TIME".

Any ideas?

#16     Jun 8, 2011
  7. Krome

Krome

If you trade on last traded price instead of bid/ask then realtime is not needed and the 1 sec refresh mentioned above would work perfect for you

#17     Jun 8, 2011
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Just out of curiosity, but how many times do you check it per day? Because if it is only let's say 10 times, finance.yahoo.com is all you need, that shows the real time quote and free.

I checked the ones in my previous link, and none of them are real time. I also checked download.com but looks like you won't find any real time AND free. I think legally they can not give away such info for free, plus if there was one, it would become so popular, that it would be silly to give it away for free...
    There are a few for a small price, keep googling it and test them....

Edit: I think I have found a solution!!!

Google finance is actually also real time and what is even better, it refreshes in every 5 or so secs by itself.

1. So open up a browser what you usually don't use.
    2.Go to finance.google.com and put the symbol in.
    3. Minimize the window to 3 by 5 inches and that still shows the price.

Now you have an almost real time, always refreshing ticker for one stock. If it wasn't refreshing you could still use an automatic refresher, but as I said, it does it by itself....

#18     Jun 8, 2011
  9. Krome,

My ticker has huge volume so bid and ask difference is usually a penny.

#19     Jun 8, 2011
  10. Krome

Krome

Sorry I should have explain myself better.

Lets say price bid/ask is 9.99-10.00
    And it trades at 10.00. Last time I checked google will display 10.00 (ok so far).
    Now imagine that a big move happens and stock goes to 12.00-12.05. If no trade happens google will still display 10.00 until a trade happens. For high yraded stock it's not an issue as I said . But for low one it's foolish although google probably doesnt support them

#20     Jun 8, 2011