I made $7 million USD in 2008

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by arealpissedgoy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. I've never seen a shrink myself but I would imagine just being able to talk out the things that are going on in your mind could do wonders.

#11     Jan 2, 2009
  2. #12     Jan 2, 2009

3. I've thought about that.

But what would I do?

Trading is my entire life. I wake up and go back to sleep thinking about the markets. It is what I live for.

It is what I've done for the better part of the past 9 years full time 24/7 and many years part time before that.

I have been trading for the better part of my adult life. So what would I do now after a lifetime of trading?

#13     Jan 2, 2009
  4. jetbird

jetbird

Take a month off. Go on vacation. I've been lucky enough too make a fat wad of $, and can tell you things don't change much. Yes maybe you buy more things, but you as a person don't really change, especially if you busted your ass to make the $. I can also say I reached the point where you are at, and had to step back and enjoy life a bit. You are seeing the signs of being overworked; listen to what your body is telling you.

jet

#14     Jan 2, 2009
  5. Keep trading, but find a really expensive hobby that will make you need to trade to keep it going. Personally, I like to hit the Impressionist auctions at Sotheby's. Buy a couple of paintings from Degas, Picasso or Renoir, and you'll feel the need to make more money to support your art habit. That's how I've kept it going for 30+ years.

#15     Jan 2, 2009
  6. Take a mil off the table and have stock_trd3r run the other 6 for you.

#16     Jan 2, 2009
  7. Abandoning trading entirely all of a sudden especially if you are successful at it seems premature. Even if other things in life eventually start to distract you, increasing the danger of not properly overseeing your positions, the risk can be dramatically reduced by just banking $6M through prudent low risk diversified assets.

Maybe all you need is to develop another set of interests. Having surmounted the challenge of making money in trading you need a new challenge.

Or maybe you need someone to share your success with. Or maybe it's your age. There is a reason kids grow out of playing games and a reason why most people end up married, even those who previously professed the most stubborn aversion to the idea.

We don't really know what your personal circumstances are but something I notice is that you seem to be more comfortable with the idea of talking to a shrink than a trusted friend. Reconnect to the people in your life, there is probably a friend or family member out there who would appreciate your presence and help. If they are all slime, meet new people who you would want to be around. Conversely, if you are the piece of slime---change.

#17     Jan 2, 2009
  8. Get a Root!
    :D

#18     Jan 3, 2009
  9. Stosh

Stosh

Run for office. Seriously, I think you can spend as much as you want on your own campaign.

#19     Jan 3, 2009
  10. dsq

dsq

wish people would post some sort of back up to their claims...making 7mil is slightly outstanding but this is the net and claims are a dime a dozen....
    I have never felt great making money in the market.However i havent made much over the last 2 years -havent lost either though...

if i were to have a stellar year like that i would give away a nice sum...maybe at random and directly by myself to university students who need money to continue or finish their degrees...Maybe buy a piece of wild land for preservation...Maybe buy a ton of bicycles to give away to college kids.

Maybe you should travel and then get some idea what inspires you.Trading is pretty hollow thats why the reward is uneventful unless you put to some good use.

#20     Jan 3, 2009