I LOVE the HSI futs!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by riskarb, Dec 5, 2004.

1. I was using Bloomberg and execute through IB and my futures clearer. I use the option vols to calc my entries/exits, but use the 1 min chart to time the opening trade. The 5min bars often look like redwoods... I've been using button trader as my front-end for IB.

This is mean-reverting contract like no other; in my limited experience, but you really need to scale accordingly. This is a monster.

I've found my fills are faster thru IB than on my VPN app. TT would be nice, but w/o an exch connection it likely wouldn't be a value-add on fill quality.

I am going to find a broker that executes the HSI and allows me to use Ecco; I think ABN clears and offers Ecco. www.eccoware.com

Merry XMAS, keep in touch.

#41     Dec 9, 2004
  2. TGM

TGM

#42     Dec 9, 2004
  3. jim c

jim c

mean-reverting for sure comes to mind. i have only collected 15 days of intra day data so my view is limited. i have always liked breakout type strategies but the HS seems to be its own animal. i have focused my limited resources on the first session of the trading day due to the fact that i really cant stay up that late. (getting old). does bloomberg give you old intraday data? we have a few in the office so i guess i could look this up on my own. anyway nice to hear your thoughts on this animal. thx jim

#43     Dec 9, 2004
    #44     Dec 9, 2004
  5. Tabular, or chart histories? BBG has both. I've only been using BBG for cash-market charts. Problem being that I usually close BBG once I start trading to focus on the tick chart in BT since I've run my analysis prior to the 7:45CST open

#45     Dec 9, 2004
  6. What's the average spread on the HSI future ?

#46     Dec 9, 2004
  7. jim c

jim c

wow..getting some real meat and potato stuff from u guys . this is great! i like to use chart histories..ill check out our BB machine after work today. interesting u use button trader..i havent traded with IB in over a year and was curious about some of these APIs from them. i will have to set that one up! great info. also would like to thank TGM for the news service advice. mizuho/fuji does seem to really be a great source of info. thx jim

#47     Dec 9, 2004
  8. I'd stress that the thing is a dot-shot most of the time, so trade small initially. If you're a 10lot ES scalper I would start with no more than 2lots HSI. The DOM on HSI is fun to watch... many 1-5lots with the occasionaly 500 peppered in there. It can be a challenge to work an order if you need immediate fills, but I have yet to lift the offer -- I simply leave my buy(sell) limit in below(above) the current market and it seems to get hit quick the majority of cases.

I've yet to trade the afternoon session; on occasion I will leave resting offsets in there; like last night, left a 5lot sell(to close) in at 14052 with the market at 13970... low and behold they took that offer out in the pm session. Nice to see the run flat-position when I woke up this morning.

#48     Dec 9, 2004
  9. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

America. Land of the free. Home of capitalism.

#49     Dec 9, 2004
  10. jim c

jim c

great advice...ill start w/a one lot to test the waters. the way u work your limits makes sense and gives me some great insight to how this thing trades. i wont be trading a ten lot anytime soon! im gonna do some work on the BB machine tonight and see if i can get some more data on it. yea that second session is too late for me in chicago, but the first session is great. i work for a MM firm and we are not allowed to place any trades during US market hours. this is one reason im drawn to the hang seng. thanks again and good luck to you. jim

#50     Dec 9, 2004